Newbie Questions..

R

~Rob~

Im looking at buying my first S3 and have a few questions. Ive had a bit of a search on the forum but only found minimal answers to the questions.

Talking of a lightly modified (chip, exhaust and performace air filter etc.) 2001 S3, what sort of service intervals would I be looking at? My current car requires a minor service every 3k miles and im trying to come away from such regular maintenance.
Do you guys run turbo timers or let the car cool down substantially after driving? Or can the car be shut down straight away?
At what revs is positive boost seen? At what revs is full boost seen?

Ive been reading about remaps. Does this increase boost as part of the remap, or is a seperate boost controller required to control boost levels?

Lastly, if theres anyone in the Bolton / Manchester / Wigan areas willing to show me round there S3 and possibly take me for a spin, it would be much apriciated as Ive never seen one up close nor been in one. Id return the favour in my car if interested and im sure I could buy you a pint to sweeten the deal! :)

Servicing every 3k miles huh?, guess you most likely hae an Evo of some sort, or a Scooby which you lover very much! If it's either of them, then let me say that you will be disappointed with the S3 in terms of performance and handling.
S3 will run around 260BHP with a remap, which changes both the fueling and boost, seperate boost controller not required, starts boosting around 1500, then fullboost around 2kish and maximum torque around the 3k mark.
Exhaust and air filters make little difference to power(tested and proven by many), maybe quicker spoolup times, so the feeling of being quicker is there.
Service schedules seems unaffected, I'm sticking to normal manufacturers schedule with my remapped car, but I have yet to do 10k miles in a year myself.
As for cooling the turbo, the S3 is fitted with a motor that circulates coolant around the engine and turbo after a drive, it does make a slight difference, but I would still recommend the cooling of turbo for say the last mile drive or 30 secs minimum on idle after a spirited drive to preserve the turbo.

HTH

Close, Ive currently got a UK Supra. I know in terms of performance an S3 will be a step down, but thats really what im after. I hardly use the Supra nowadays. I want something a little more conservative and less 'in yer face' but still with a bit of punch and thats going to be good fun when you plant the loud pedal. Ive been out in my mates lightly modded TT and the acceleration is great. More than enough for daily driving and for weekend fun. It does seem to lack a bit on top end, but its not that often you get up to silly speeds.

The S3 seems much more usuable around town and B roads etc too. Currently I need to be at 4200 rpm to see decent boost, with full boost about 5k.

Im in Warrington, so just down the road. I've come from a 340bhp 200sx so pretty much in the same situation as you. Ive had my S3 for probaly a little over a month. It is quite a bit slower than my 200 in a staight line, but given a twisty A or B road and I don't think there would be a lot in it. Ive had mine superchipped and it makes a fair bit of difference, well worth the money in my view. Service wise I will still be changing the oil every 5 to 6k miles though, as I think the standard service interval are a little too long for a turbocharged car. All in all I think the S3 is a good allrounder. Have a look at a few and make you own mind up. :icon_thumright:

~Rob~ said:
Lastly, if theres anyone in the Bolton / Manchester / Wigan areas willing to show me round there S3 and possibly take me for a spin, it would be much apriciated as Ive never seen one up close nor been in one. Id return the favour in my car if interested and im sure I could buy you a pint to sweeten the deal! :)

Hi mate, I live Rochdale/Bury way and would be happy to show you round my motor and take you for a spin. The car is a 2003 and custom mapped by Jabbasport. Pics in sig :)

Funky_Junky said:
Hi mate, I live Rochdale/Bury way and would be happy to show you round my motor and take you for a spin. The car is a 2003 and custom mapped by Jabbasport. Pics in sig :)

Thanks for the offer, that would be great!

PM'd.

:cool:

Funky_Junky said:

Just saying thanks again for your time mate. The ride and info you gave me was much appreciated. Top guy! :thumbsup:

~Rob~ said:
Just saying thanks again for your time mate. The ride and info you gave me was much appreciated. Top guy! :thumbsup:

No worries mate, good luck finding your new ride. I'm sure it'll be tough to move on from that Supra though, she's a beaut :thumbsup: