Rumble and Vibrations around corners

JamesW1994

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on my 2019 RS3 Sportback.

When going around corners, a rumbling noise accompanied by a vibration spreads throughout the whole car, particularly noticeable on full lock, and it seems to be coming from the rear. Interestingly, this issue only occurs when the car has warmed up to its running temperature. The rumble and vibration occur regardless of whether the throttle is applied or not, and it also happens if I purposely coast in Neutral around a corner (I did this for testing).

The car has 39,000 miles and has undergone two Haldex services, both performed by Audi. It has a full-service history with Audi. Additionally, the car has only been launched four times in its lifetime, as verified by VCDS.

I have attempted a Haldex pump learn on VCDS, this has made no difference

Any suggestions on what might be causing this issue?

Attached is a video with the sound I am hearing.

View: https://youtu.be/HJLeI39JxJs
Sorry about me talking in the clip, I had to send it to the car dealer I purchased it from so was explaining it to them! Thankfully it has a good warranty against it.

If the Haldex service has been done by Audi then get it done again by someone who will take the pump out and inspect/clean the gauze filter. Audi don't do that. Mine had 2 Audi Haldex services and the Haldex oil was as old as the car make of that what you will.

Check all other fluids, front diff oil needs changing now (and every 20K from now on like the 8Y) Make sure rear diff is not empty (not the first dealer to drain the diff on a Haldex service by mistake)

Check the tyres for sawtoothing and possibly swap them side to side (are they staggered or square?)

Sounds a bit like tyre rubbing, worth checking and wheel bearings at the same time. Any spacers or lowering?

If the Haldex service has been done by Audi then get it done again by someone who will take the pump out and inspect/clean the gauze filter. Audi don't do that. Mine had 2 Audi Haldex services and the Haldex oil was as old as the car make of that what you will.

Check all other fluids, front diff oil needs changing now (and every 20K from now on like the 8Y) Make sure rear diff is not empty (not the first dealer to drain the diff on a Haldex service by mistake)

Check the tyres for sawtoothing and possibly swap them side to side (are they staggered or square?)

Sounds a bit like tyre rubbing, worth checking and wheel bearings at the same time. Any spacers or lowering?
Thanks for the response! These are all great suggestions, I am booked in with my local garage to have the Haldex pump cleaned. I will swap the wheels around this weekend also.

For me though, I am thinking the Haldex could be a red herring, as I would think that when the car makes the noise in neutral, at that point no power is being delivered to the diff?

But on the flip side of that, why would it only occur when the engine is up to temperature? It’s so strange!

For me though, I am thinking the Haldex could be a red herring, as I would think that when the car makes the noise in neutral, at that point no power is being delivered to the diff?

Although there is no drive, everything is still rotating if the car is moving, just the Haldex clutch packs are disengaged.

But on the flip side of that, why would it only occur when the engine is up to temperature? It’s so strange!

Quite a few other things get up to temp as well, Have you tried warming the engine up standing still?

Wheel bearing, they dont last long these days i have had 2 sets :)

If you want to make sure vibration noise is not related to issues with the Haldex, just remove the fuse for the AWD and go for a test drive.

If you want to make sure vibration noise is not related to issues with the Haldex, just remove the fuse for the AWD and go for a test drive.

Pulling the fuse only stops the pump and clutches engaging. Everything is still turning when you drive. It will rule out some Haldex faults but not all

Pulling the fuse only stops the pump and clutches engaging. Everything is still turning when you drive. It will rule out some Haldex faults but not all
Yes, exactly what I said.

Reactions: ClubSandwich