SQ5 SQ5 tdi running board removal and mpg

rs4al

Reaction score
Been thinking about moving back into an Audi after a few years in a 340D!

The SQ5 ticks all the boxes as need something with a bit more ground clearance for Scotland trips but to get all the toys it needs to be a vorsprung.

But all the vorsprungs seem to come with running boards as standard and I really don't like the look of them, If I removed them would this leave open bolt holes in the underside?

Also as averaging 45mpg in the 340D, any real world mpg on the tdi? I know it won't be as good as the Beemer but that is a car not a fast brick of an SUV.

I average 40mpg in my 2018 3L TDI, but i drive fairly conservatively, I think the 40TDI is more efficient but obviously depends on journey type, driving conditions/style. Most of my trips are 70 mile round trips on a-roads to/from work.

Been thinking about moving back into an Audi after a few years in a 340D!

The SQ5 ticks all the boxes as need something with a bit more ground clearance for Scotland trips but to get all the toys it needs to be a vorsprung.

But all the vorsprungs seem to come with running boards as standard and I really don't like the look of them, If I removed them would this leave open bolt holes in the underside?

Also as averaging 45mpg in the 340D, any real world mpg on the tdi? I know it won't be as good as the Beemer but that is a car not a fast brick of an SUV.
Just refit the bolts with a blob of grease, then sealant over the top, so it still keeps the threads clean & no rusting as the Scottish roads can be unforgiving.

2022 SQ5 TDi owner here and my long term average is about 35mpg though that has included some towing of a horse trailer and does reflect probably a 50/50 mix of suburban short journeys and longer trips.

Longer motorway journeys driven with some restraint give 40 - 45mpg.

A 2016 SQ5 TDi owner and for the 5-years/11770 miles owned our overall average is 28.8mpg.

OK, may be 79-years of age now but I still don't get overtaken much :racer:

PS: I have seen 50+mpg on longer runs but our SQ5 (or our TT and/or RS3) were not purchased for economy....