Do our cars' keys go to sleep?

rngDeadeye

Reaction score
Our neighbour had both cars stolen off their drive last night. A Mustang GT and a 5-series estate. They had to drive past my RS to get to those cars.

I can't check 2 of the 3 cameras until I get home so I don't know if they tried mine but I know BMW have made it so their keys go to sleep if they are inactive for a period meaning they can't amplify the signal.

Do ours have this?

Our neighbour had both cars stolen off their drive last night. A Mustang GT and a 5-series estate. They had to drive past my RS to get to those cars.

I can't check 2 of the 3 cameras until I get home so I don't know if they tried mine but I know BMW have made it so their keys go to sleep if they are inactive for a period meaning they can't amplify the signal.

Do ours have this?
Yup they do

Attachments

• A3 8Y key info.pdf
    100.2 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: davc
Wow, good to know. Although that means if they want it they need to get in the house.

I've got xxx locks so hopefully I'll be awake with my bat before they get in.

The keys to my previous RSQ3 'went to sleep' after a period and I can confirm the RS4 does the same. I recommend keys should be stored in Faraday bag or similar device.

Mike

Reactions: davc
It will be interesting to see if they did indeed try - and if you have a video how they looked when they failed :)

Reactions: rngDeadeye
I watched the video of them turning up and 10 mins later pushing the mustang past my house which explains why they never heard anything as the mustang's cold-start is awesome and loud.