Air-Con hissing and not cooling much when ON

46lukasz

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently noticed that my A/C started making a hissing noise almost immediately after turning it on, the hissing also stops right after turning it off.

When ON, the air coming out of the vents is also just slightly colder than ambient air outside the car, so it works, but just slightly.

It worked great when I got the car, I definitely don't remember it making hissing noises back then, but I haven't used it (the A/C) for pretty much 3 years, as the weather here is rather cold, so A/C is not required often.
I decided to turn it on recently and got this surprise instead.

I checked for error codes, but the air conditioning control unit comes up clean.
At first, I thought the refrigerant is gone, but apparently there is pressure in the system, reported 3 bar when OFF and increases to 4 bar when ON. Not sure if these numbers are even correct but doesn't look like it leaked out.

I'd appreciate if anyone else who has VCDS or similar could check those values for me, so I can compare. Maybe the compressor is gone bad.

Off On

I'd say you need to regass the system. It should sit at around 5 Bar when off and 9 bar when running. The system does lose gas overtime if not used.