Possible ecu problem

Grubylad

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

About 2 weeks ago my audi a3 2012 1.6tdi 8p started to have starting problems. The car lost connection to the dash so nothing is lighting up and when I try to start the car it starts for a second, turns off and automatically tries to start it back up but it doesn't start.
My mate came around with his laptop to see what the code was and it showed that the ecu is not connected.
Left the car alone for couple of days and I opened up the car to get something out, and noticed that the dashboard was lighted up (only the time). So I started the car up and it was running smoothly.
Left the car for another couple of days, same problem with starting and dashboard.
Ordered a new ecu unit after taking the old one out, and I wanted to plug the new one in. When I came to my car my dashboard was light up again so I plugged the old ecu in and the car was running smoothly again.
Any suggestions?

To me looks like bad connection somewhere. Car probably won't start without power to cluster because of immo. Check powers and ground to cluster