Another water in boot thread!!!

RACK

Reaction score
So got my B8.5 tdi se technik (sure there’s some more letters in the name of it!!!) a few weeks ago
2k miles done and it’s chewed them up like they were nothing
New cambelt done also and want to love the thing but…..

I’ve found a leak in the boot
Done the usual, new rear boot seal, cleaned out and resealed the vents behind the bumper and also checked the boot lid light seals this weekend
Yet still water is coming in!!!!!

Has anyone got any other suggestions?
I’ve searched high and low on the net and the only thing I can think to try next is adjust the boot latch so it closes tighter, but I’m not sure how to do this?

Any help would be massively appreciated as it’s driving me bonkers

Thanks in advnace
Rack
Pics just for pics sake

Attachments

• A2CC1136-FEE5-4F78-8C09-8729FDE6E17B.jpeg
    A2CC1136-FEE5-4F78-8C09-8729FDE6E17B.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6027.jpeg
    IMG_6027.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
Time to get a torch & camera in the boot or someone inside whist you hose it down.

Also check any leaks from the bumper & external bracket fixings as sometimes water can come through them, they usually have a square hole pushed into & a small rubber seal round them to seal from water, I've known them to leak if fitted.

Reactions: RACK
Time to get a torch & camera in the boot or someone inside whist you hose it down.

Also check any leaks from the bumper & external bracket fixings as sometimes water can come through them, they usually have a square hole pushed into & a small rubber seal round them to seal from water, I've known them to leak if fitted.
thanks mate. Will have a look at brackets etc later

It’s not the same problem that I’ve just had, is it?

It’s not the same problem that I’ve just had, is it?

Thanks for that buddy

Mine is a saloon though and no rear wiper so not sure it would be the same as that

Hi Rack - I've just seen this.. i feel your pain brother!!!

Does it get wet inside on dry and rainy days like mine was?

Defo worthwhile getting the carpet out and taping kitchen towel all round the boot area to look for entry signs.. i think mine was either the battery or the rubber bungs in the boot floor.

The first time i sealed the rubber bugs/grommets i only sealed round the edges.. the second time i covered them completely, top and bottom, with clear silicone, and i think that nailed it.

good luck - keep us posted

goose

Hi Rack - I've just seen this.. i feel your pain brother!!!

Does it get wet inside on dry and rainy days like mine was?

Defo worthwhile getting the carpet out and taping kitchen towel all round the boot area to look for entry signs.. i think mine was either the battery or the rubber bungs in the boot floor.

The first time i sealed the rubber bugs/grommets i only sealed round the edges.. the second time i covered them completely, top and bottom, with clear silicone, and i think that nailed it.

good luck - keep us posted

goose
Thanks for this buddy
Was just about to reply on your thread then saw this
Will get it in the air and let you know how I get on

Where is the water? On the electronics (which side) or in the wheel well?

Where is the water? On the electronics (which side) or in the wheel well?
At first is was all the way in the passenger rear wing and spare wheel well
The wing dried out but still in the wheel well, after bumper off and sealing the vents
New boot seal
Also a bit of seal round the outer rear lights
It was dry for a day then came back again in the spare wheel well, just at the side of the battery

So off I went on a 400 mile round trip this weekend, it was sunny Saturday morning settin off, then it stood over night in bad rain, drove back home in bad rain… got up this morning and the boot floor is dry…. Crazy lol

At first is was all the way in the passenger rear wing and spare wheel well
The wing dried out but still in the wheel well, after bumper off and sealing the vents
New boot seal
Also a bit of seal round the outer rear lights
It was dry for a day then came back again in the spare wheel well, just at the side of the battery

So off I went on a 400 mile round trip this weekend, it was sunny Saturday morning settin off, then it stood over night in bad rain, drove back home in bad rain… got up this morning and the boot floor is dry…. Crazy lol

Mine did this on and off for ages.. was driving me crazy lol!

i do think even when dried out, there can be quite a lot of residual water hiding in the pockets of inner support brackets and boot floor structure, without you knowing.. and then when you drive it slops around all over the place making you think its coming from 10 different places.

Fingers crossed you've nailed it.

Cheers,
goose

Mine did this on and off for ages.. was driving me crazy lol!

i do think even when dried out, there can be quite a lot of residual water hiding in the pockets of inner support brackets and boot floor structure, without you knowing.. and then when you drive it slops around all over the place making you think its coming from 10 different places.

Fingers crossed you've nailed it.

Cheers,
goose
I’m exactly the same thoughts as you there buddy.
Dont think I realised just how much water there could have been in there

Todays update… dry from weekend so took through a car wash last night. Stood all last night in the rain.. just got to work and still dry… let’s see how the day goes lol