Manual quattro gearbox notchy

ChrisR32blue

Reaction score
I have a 2006 3.2 quattro with a manual box. When cold the gearbox is pretty notchy but fine after 3-4 minutes or so. I've had the box fluid changed for correct spec oil, is this just a characteristic of the box or am I missing something? Cars on 150k miles.

very common in b7 quattro's , age will be a factor to a more or lesser degree but oil choice can be important .

My 6sp manual on my 2006 TDi 170 S Line is like that. 65k miles.
I can only really select first on the second try (I could be firmer with it and it goes in)...but I just gently try and then second try it goes in. This is only really when it's been stood still overnight. Once I've done a few miles it's fine.

And yes, after several miles it's warmed up a bit and is fine. Could be my clutch or dual mass flywheel as it does judder when cold from a standstill sometimes, but just a few more RPM seems to help that. But again after several miles the clutch is ok.

Could be something as simple as a clutch fluid change perhaps - not sure if this is also the same as the brake fluid circuit, On my 2000 Golf MK4 it's the same fluid.

If its only when cold then try a different oil.
Fuchs do a 75w that is rated specifically for this issue.

Reactions: B7Tourer
I had wondered if maybe a thinner oil would help, but would that then give less protection when warm? If it's only going to improve it slightly as it's a character of the box, I'd probably not bother. The car is just a supposedly cheap convertible for the summer months. So far it's not worked out cheap!

I have a 2006 3.2 quattro with a manual box. When cold the gearbox is pretty notchy but fine after 3-4 minutes or so. I've had the box fluid changed for correct spec oil, is this just a characteristic of the box or am I missing something? Cars on 150k miles.
It's pretty normal on cold startup. I did change my oil (about 50K ago) even though they say 'for life' and it made a significant difference. The synchomeshes on these boxes often got a good hiding, with people slamming them into place - you can still defeat modern synrchos - and the metal they made of, brass I think, is softer than steel. If you ever crunched your gears, by not fully de clutching, it's the syrncho ring you're hearing, not the gear itself, which are constant mesh. I always give a very slight pause in neutral and it never fails to engage smoothly then and they should go into place with finger tip pressure too, if OK. Sometimes I still double de-clutch too but that's really unnecessary these days.

And yes, after several miles it's warmed up a bit and is fine. Could be my clutch or dual mass flywheel as it does judder when cold from a standstill sometimes, but just a few more RPM seems to help that. But again after several miles the clutch is ok.
Hi Matt. Yes brake and clutch fluid share the same reservoir. It shouldn't judder but a diesel hardly requires any gas to set off in 1st and will judder if you give it a bit too much as though it were a petrol. Sometimes there is dampness too on a cold clutch that can cause this. If it's fine after a few miles there should be no problem. You can tell if there is an issue with your DMF by turning around at slow speed in a car park - a worn DMF will rattle near full lock.

Interestingly these boxes, or I should say the FWD 6 speed are very popular and in demand for Ford GT40 replica builds, where they are mated to a V8, as a transaxle gearbox, in that car's rear engine set up. So they are considered plenty tough enough. In the basic FWD A4s I think the clutch/DMF is rated to a maximum of around 410/20 nm but I think the gearbox itself is maybe tougher than that. I don't know if there is a difference, outside of the obvious, between the Quattros, diesel/petrol and FWDs, in terms of strength, though. The GT40 crowd in the States tend to source and import used diesel FWD 6 speeds, mainly because of the ratios, which I believe are different between diesel and petrol, though I stand to be corrected.

It seems to be
I had wondered if maybe a thinner oil would help, but would that then give less protection when warm? If it's only going to improve it slightly as it's a character of the box, I'd probably not bother. The car is just a supposedly cheap convertible for the summer months. So far it's not worked out cheap!
Sadly the words "cheap " and "B7" are not really compatible, that is just life owning one, whatever variant it is. :sadlike:

Reactions: Rob Avant
I did a lot of research on this problem of poor gear engagement when cold and a lot of it is down to the synchros when cold and the fluid being a bit too thick when cold.

This is a rated product that goes a long way to help smooth out the low-speed/cold gear engagement issues with the manual boxes.

Reactions: B7Tourer
I did a lot of research on this problem of poor gear engagement when cold and a lot of it is down to the synchros when cold and the fluid being a bit too thick when cold.

This is a rated product that goes a long way to help smooth out the low-speed/cold gear engagement issues with the manual boxes.

View attachment 274658

View attachment 274659
Ok, thanks for taking the time to post that, I'll add it to the list on the next service.