How does efficiency mode save fuel….

Jason1987

Reaction score
On my S3, efficiency mode is always in a high gear but doesn’t it use more fuel in high gears as there is more load? I’ve been trying to do one day of driving in D and one day in E to see if there is any difference in mpg. It also does the coast mode thing in all drive selects i think, so that’s not specific to efficiency mode

Off the top of my head, efficiency mode:
a) softens the accelerator response (ie you have to push the pedal down further to accelerate harder);
b) switches the aircon into Eco mode (easily overridden);
c) dampens the response of cruise control (ie the car accelerates more slowly).

I use it on longer motorway stints and also when using auto-cruise in start/stop traffic (along with max following distance) to make the car drive more smoothly.

Off the top of my head, efficiency mode:
a) softens the accelerator response (ie you have to push the pedal down further to accelerate harder);
b) switches the aircon into Eco mode (easily overridden);
c) dampens the response of cruise control (ie the car accelerates more slowly).

I use it on longer motorway stints and also when using auto-cruise in start/stop traffic (along with max following distance) to make the car drive more smoothly.
I mean is it better to just use D on normal work commutes etc? And efficiency for motorways etc?

I mean is it better to just use D on normal work commutes etc? And efficiency for motorways etc?
Yes. You've bought a performance car - trying to be a bit more efficient on the fuel isn't going to save you that much in your wallet. I only ever use efficiency on long motorway drives. Day to day I'm wither in auto or comfort with a big of sport mode on the gear box when required.

Reactions: vatdim, Sparks43 and AdamInKent
Yes. You've bought a performance car - trying to be a bit more efficient on the fuel isn't going to save you that much in your wallet. I only ever use efficiency on long motorway drives. Day to day I'm wither in auto or comfort with a big of sport mode on the gear box when required.
Had to try efficiency to test something once and have never gone near it again it was horrible - Like you say you've bought a high performance car so worrying about fuel saving does seem a little pointless really

Reactions: Jason1987