Toothed belt grease?

FOX11791

Reaction score
Hi, today I put my audi A3 saloon into my local audi dealership to look at a noise seeming to come from the belt.

I received my health check video an they guy suggested it was my toothed belt an it needed grease to fix. This wasn't covered by my warranty as I only bought the car in November. Price of the job was £420.

Now I have spoken to friends as you do and none have said a belt should be greased or lubricated. The mechanic said it was on the audi tpi to do this.

I'm looking for abit more knowledgeable people to help me with a decision what to do. Do I get the job done and prolong the issue (from what iv been told elsewhere) or do I go with this greasing?

Thanks

What year is your car? If it's a saloon it must be one of the newer models - you'll want to post in another forum instead

What year is your car? If it's a saloon it must be one of the newer models - you'll want to post in another forum instead
Hi, yes it 70 plate only 29k miles. What forum should I look for?

Not sure if this is related but the TPI you’re referring could be TPI 2043523/20.

There’s a few threads on Volkswagen and Piston Heads.

New one to me to grease a belt though. You‘re paying, ask them to pass you a copy of the full documentation related to the TPI, this is what the service technician will use after all.

Not sure if this is related but the TPI you’re referring could be TPI 2043523/20.

There’s a few threads on Volkswagen and Piston Heads.

New one to me to grease a belt though. You‘re paying, ask them to pass you a copy of the full documentation related to the TPI, this is what the service technician will use after all.
I have no idea on the tpi number they havnt said. I don't have alot of knowledge on cars but people I speak too are telling me yes it might quite the noise now but long term it will either come back or potentially damage the belt. I'm really stuck what to believe here. Are they doing the greasing to keep the noise away until my warranty finishes? Or am I going against there advice and believing others.