Weird heating problem

AudriuZ

Reaction score
So I have a 1.9 tdi 1998 audi a3 8l, and my heater stopped blowing hot air. It only blows warm air. I think the hot/cold air flap is stuck and does not fully close when i turn the knob to hot. How should I get to it and manually position the flap to hot? (The car does not have AC so it can stay on hot forever)

Another problem that I have is fan speed. It only works on the 4th position which is the highest. How should I fix this?

P.S. This car does not have climatronic, it uses turning knobs.

Thanks alot for any advice given.

The fan only working on 4th speed position will be the blower resistor. I've never done it on an 8L, but usually it's pretty straight forward to replace, sometimes you have to remove some of the dashboard, there's going to be tutorials online on how to replace it

When it comes to warm air instead of hot - could be the air flap, could be air trapped in the cooling system, could be clogged heater core, could even be broken water pump. Can't really give you a definitive answer on this one.

Reactions: AudriuZ
The fan only working on 4th speed position will be the blower resistor. I've never done it on an 8L, but usually it's pretty straight forward to replace, sometimes you have to remove some of the dashboard, there's going to be tutorials online on how to replace it

When it comes to warm air instead of hot - could be the air flap, could be air trapped in the cooling system, could be clogged heater core, could even be broken water pump. Can't really give you a definitive answer on this one.
Any ideas how to get to the air flap? Where is it located? Couldn’t find any diagrams or pictures of its location online