A3 8L '03 Engine and Transmission Swap

Faefnr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new member here! I recently bought an A3 8L ((maybe) not the best choice for a first car in my country) and I've been thinking about swapping the 1.6 automatic for a 1.8T with a manual. Can anyone point me to a thread that has a list of things I'll need. Any help is appreciated.

Love in d house!

You won't find a thread on here detailing that I am afraid as generally no one does it... The differences extend beyond just the engine as brakes/suspension etc all need changing...

The easiest way is to simply buy a 1.8t A3 and mod that... if you are insistent on swapping it out then the next best thing is to buy an accident damaged A3 1.8t and use that as a donor then you will have most if not all the gear you need to make the swap

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Faefnr
As @<tuffty/> said, a swap like that is going to need a lot of changes. ECU, all the wiring and electronics, gear lever and linkage, the entire clutch system, maybe the dashboard, suspension and brakes to accommodate for the different weight and power and probably some other stuff that'll have to be changed along the way. IMO not worth the hassle since you can buy a 1.8T A3, it's not like you're trying to put an LS engine in it.

Reactions: Faefnr
Thanks for the feedback guys! Thought it over these past few days and I'll stick to a new engine and trans to fit. I'll keep my eyes open tho, I'd love to make an A3 drift car.