Engine temp.

s5joe

Reaction score
For the past few days when I have been getting in my car of a morning or from 8 hours work shif my engine temp is reading like in the picture below is this normal or do I have a fault. I have been suffering from heavy fuel consumption too IMG 3547

If the temp doesn’t come up to around 90° after a short while then it does sound like a faulty thermostat. Likely stuck open.

Fuel use would be higher as the engine thinks it’s cold so is pushing a more fuel rich mixture into the engine.

I’m not sure what model/engine or age of car you have but one other thing to check is your coolant system including water pump as these are common failure points

If the temp doesn’t come up to around 90° after a short while then it does sound like a faulty thermostat. Likely stuck open.

Fuel use would be higher as the engine thinks it’s cold so is pushing a more fuel rich mixture into the engine.

I’m not sure what model/engine or age of car you have but one other thing to check is your coolant system including water pump as these are common failure points
I have got a 2018 s5 3.0t. On my picture it shows my engine temp with one bar so about 50c and this happens as soon as I start the car so it won’t get to that temp within a second.

I have got a 2018 s5 3.0t. On my picture it shows my engine temp with one bar so about 50c and this happens as soon as I start the car so it won’t get to that temp within a second.
My S5 has done this since I bought it, it’s perfectly normal.

I’ve also had the thermostat replaced twice and that had no effect on it so it’s not related to a thermostat error.

Reactions: s5joe
It only starts to read when the oil temperature is around 45 degrees c.