Q4 camera retro fit

sma6wag

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new here so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I’ve just bought a used Q4 which comes with a 2 year Audi warranty. It doesn’t have a reversing camera and I’m really struggling without one! I’ve found a number of companies that will retro fit then using genuine parts (Audi themselves won’t do it), but I’m worried about doing that and somehow voiding the warranty.

I understand that the warranty is only an issue if there’s a fault leading back to the installation of the camera (my dealers have said this), but since retro fitting requires coding to show up on the infotainment screen (forgive my lack of technical jargon!), doesn’t that mean that anything wrong with the infotainment system could lead back to the change in coding?

And with it being an electric car, does that make it riskier?

Grateful for any thoughts/advice as I’m really struggling with this!

Many thanks

In the UK they have to be able to prove a link between the fault and any modification to be able to invalidate any part of the warranty.

So for example they couldn't void a gearbox problem because you fitted a reversing camera. If however the control unit which controls the rear camera went faulty they could try. They couldn't void the warranty for the MMI Unit or screen for example as those were not touched.

Sounds like the reward of having the camera probably outweighs the risk for you.