Starlink-my experience

swisstony

Reaction score
Been thinking and researching this for a while now and as Starlink is a product that I think has matured enough I decided to place an order but first give you my current setup/environment as a benchmark/reason for going this route. I live in a fairly rural area and on my road there are only houses on one side with farmland, fields and nothing else around. Sounds great but absolute rubbish for high speed internet. I work in IT and do a lot of WFH ( especially after 2020 ) so a high speed connection is vital for my business and having a teenager in the house is also a "I need it or I will die " scenario :)
Around 9 years ago we had BT Infinity come to the village but the box is 1km away so best I could get is 19-20MB on a good day with 0.9mbps on the up. Canvassed and pleaded for these new high speed FTTP companies to come to our road but alas they wont as the village is National Trust so they refuse for any works like that to happen.
Plus as it is only a line of houses, not enough capacity for Virgin etc to cable the road.
Dabbled with 4Gb mobile broadband as a solution for a few years but never stable enough and quite costly.

So looked into Starlink and after some lenghty research opted for the standard setup and got it delivered pretty quickly. Did a quick test prior to deliver for suitable location and obstructions and then arrange for a local fitting company to come out and install the pole/bracket setup on my chosen location which is at the back of the house and extends past the roof line. I didnt want it at the front of the house as I wanted to tucked away so you cant see it from the road and as it needs to face North at 20 degrees inclination, the spot I chose was perfect.

IMG 3493

You can see from the photo the slight tilt it has after the intial calibration.
The fitters were really quick and using the extra 150ft cable I bought, installed the main dish cable all the way around the house to the front where the current Sky cable enters the property so less mess. This brought it slap into the room where my current network is with Sky router, Mesh system etc.
Plugged it in and left it overnight to calibrate and settle down.

Then connected the separate Ethernet adaptor and plugged that into my current Mesh system which is an Amplifi system of base station and two nodes for wifi coverage around the house. All worked flawlessly and now I am getting pretty decent and fast coverage to the whole house and the best bit is daughter/wife are happy, I can bin the 4G and also get in touch with Sky to remove the fibre connection thus reducing my monthly bills.

So speed before was approx 18-20mbps on the down and 0.9mbps on the up.

This is what am getting now , it varies during the day but average is 80-90mbps
This is the fastest test I have seen so far

IMG 3478

So overall very happy and such a big upgrade.

We also have a starlink as we are based at the top of a mountain with very few other options. After about a year and a half we are still happy. there are some funny little quirks that I have noticed but the snow melting feature was great this winter even a -13c