Just bought an A3, advice welcome.

Jimmy2007

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I just bought an A3 Spotback 1.6 2006 (8PA AA4 version from the sticker) in very good shape and would appreciate your wide advice on tricks, extra maintenance and anything else you can think of.
I will do a full service next week, so my first question:
I've always preferred Quantum oil to the recommended Castrol. What do you think?
Quantum platinum 10W40? The manual only states VW 503 00 or VW 504 00. Or Castrol 5W30?

Second question if I may:
Before I go on the hunt, where's the fuel filter on this car? Same place as other vag, under rear right side?

And finally: I looked at the toothed belt and it seems too easy to replace than any other Audi I owned before.
Is it really easy or there's a surprise waiting when replacing belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump?
BTW, the timing belt cover is missing.
The fools who changed it last time probably thought it didn't need it.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I’d be going for a 5W 40 oil and the fuel filter is in the traditional place.
I use Shell Helix 5W 40 in a Fabia 1.4 and a TT 2.0 and Titan Race Pro S 5W 40 in a stage 2+ S3

Reactions: Jimmy2007
Thanks!
Got confused with another A3 I looked at, the timing belt cover is there.
I must've seen a dozen A3 for sale last week, a very stressful experience, especially when cars are described as "immaculate conditions" and then you're presented a scrap.
I looked at a few 2011/2013 models and I had to question how they would expect to sell them.
Ripped seats, scratches and dents everywhere, bold tyres, engine leaking from everywhere, brake pads down to the bone and one of them was missing a third gear, it wouldn't engage.
***!
How do they pass the mot???
So what about the timing belt, any particular trick before I tackle this job?
Last timing belt change was 70k miles ago in 2012!

Thanks!
Got confused with another A3 I looked at, the timing belt cover is there.
I must've seen a dozen A3 for sale last week, a very stressful experience, especially when cars are described as "immaculate conditions" and then you're presented a scrap.
I looked at a few 2011/2013 models and I had to question how they would expect to sell them.
Ripped seats, scratches and dents everywhere, bold tyres, engine leaking from everywhere, brake pads down to the bone and one of them was missing a third gear, it wouldn't engage.
***!
How do they pass the mot???
So what about the timing belt, any particular trick before I tackle this job?
Last timing belt change was 70k miles ago in 2012!
My DIY mechanic days were long over before I bought my A3 but I can tell you it's recommended to change the water pump when you do the timing belt, at least on the 2.0 TFSI.

Yes, water pump and other belts get changed as standard in my books.

Hi everyone, so I started working on the A3 and found a couple of minor things that I can't figure out.
The rear subwoofer, hidden in the boot, is crackling.
I cleaned the connection and there's no clear sign of damage to the speaker, in fact it looks like new.
Is it a matter of just disconnect it and forget about it or can it be fixed?
Also, the 2 speakers on the rear left door are totally dead.
Again, all connections are perfect and the cables passing from the pillar to the door are in perfect conditions.
Cables cut somewhere else?
Thanks