Boost Delay and Slight Dark Smoke

DickyNI

Reaction score
Currently have a 2.5tdi B6, generally havent had any issues with it but the last day or so ive notice a bit of boost delay, usually kicked in around 1900-2000rpm but now it revs to about 2500 before kicking in. Also in the build up to full boost there was a darkish coloured smoke from the exhaust. No idea what it could possibly be so any ideas would be helpful.

Could be a vacuum leak stopping the turbo actuator doing its job. Check the pipes etc
I once had a faulty EGR valve on my 1.9 TDI that caused the same issue.

Black smoke is unburnt fuel, the car is mapped to expect more air to match the fuel it's getting in and because of the extra lag from the turbo it runs rich until the turbo catches up.

Could be a vacuum leak stopping the turbo actuator doing its job. Check the pipes etc
I once had a faulty EGR valve on my 1.9 TDI that caused the same issue.

Black smoke is unburnt fuel, the car is mapped to expect more air to match the fuel it's getting in and because of the extra lag from the turbo it runs rich until the turbo catches up.
How would i go about checking for a boost leak? Worked on my cars before but nothing really outside of oil changes and coilovers a couple of times