Map Download Issue

elan2s

Reaction score
I noticed this morning that Audi had put up a new release (named 2023/24) of the navigation map data on my.audi. I downloaded it and when uppacked it was just shy of 32Gb, previous releases have been about 24Gb. When I tried copying it to my usual 32Gb card formatted as FAT32, it comes up with an insufficient space error. In the past I have always understood the car would not accept an SD Card larger than 32Gb and it needed to be formatted as FAT32. Has anyone successfully used a larger card and if so what formatting protocol did you use? Intrigued as well as to what they have added in the extra 8Gb :friendly wink:

I noticed this morning that Audi had put up a new release (named 2023/24) of the navigation map data on my.audi. I downloaded it and when uppacked it was just shy of 32Gb, previous releases have been about 24Gb. When I tried copying it to my usual 32Gb card formatted as FAT32, it comes up with an insufficient space error. In the past I have always understood the car would not accept an SD Card larger than 32Gb and it needed to be formatted as FAT32. Has anyone successfully used a larger card and if so what formatting protocol did you use? Intrigued as well as to what they have added in the extra 8Gb :friendly wink:
I'm pretty sure last time I downloaded the maps I used a FAT32 formatted 64GB USB stick so give it a try with one of those maybe?

Seems that you can now use larger SD Cards formatted as exFAT. I used a 64Gb card and it has successfully updated the maps

Reactions: PaulR7
I've downloaded this map update, transferred it to a 64gb USB stick and tried to install it on my A6 but it won't work. It comes up with the update notification when I plug the USB stick in and looks as though it's going to work but then displays the message "UPDATE: Error: The update data are not compatible".

I've tried manually selecting 'update' in settings but it just says 'no update available'. Don't think my car's maps have ever been updated since the car was new so any help would be greatly appreciated.

wonder if the map is coded to a specific model (a6 vs s6 vs a3, etc...)??

i'd take it to the dealership and let them deal with it honestly...

wonder if the map is coded to a specific model (a6 vs s6 vs a3, etc...)??

i'd take it to the dealership and let them deal with it honestly...
I tried that last time it was in for a service (thinking they'd probably just do it for free as I was already paying for the service) but they firstly said they couldn't do it and then when I asked them to double check they quoted me something ludicrous like £500 just to update the map software.

oh geez, that's ridiculous! but was the quote to update "the map" or some other vehicle or MMI software? 500 big ones is A LOT to update a map...

oh geez, that's ridiculous! but was the quote to update "the map" or some other vehicle or MMI software? 500 big ones is A LOT to update a map...

Yeah definitely not worth £500 as the sat-nav generally works fine considering the maps are 4 years old but I would obviously like to update the software if I can.

I remember reading something about map software updates being free for the first few years and chargeable thereafter BUT that the owner should still be able to get the latest update the car was entitled to before the 'free updates period' expired (if it didn't get it at the time). I wonder if that's why it's not working because it's programmed not to accept newer updates than last year's software.

No idea how to access that software though and I even asked Audi UK when I was speaking to them about something else a few months ago and they didn't know. I would be happy with last year's maps as that's much better than the 4 year old maps that are currently installed (weirdly the overall version is EU_2021.3 but the specific maps are all from 2019).

Did you download it from MyAudi or from somewhere else? I think there may be issues if it is downloaded from somewhere else as the download is made specific to your vehicle to prevent it being passed around between owners. I also believe you should be able to download the last available version for your car prior to the subscription expiry from MyAudi. The naming of map files seems strange to say the least. I have just installed the latest maps from MyAudi and yet the file name in the car says 2022. Also when you copy the files to a USB stick, the file plus the 2 directories needs to be at the top of the directory structure, ie you need to copy the file + directories from the download directory to the USB stick, not the directory itself. In my case after unzipping I had a directory called 02A00030 containing a file called 02A00030.mp5 plus a directory called Meta and one called Data. Copy these 2 directories + the .mp5 file to the USB stick not the 02A00030 directory, names may be slightly different for your download. Hope that makes sense.

Did you download it from MyAudi or from somewhere else? I think there may be issues if it is downloaded from somewhere else as the download is made specific to your vehicle to prevent it being passed around between owners. I also believe you should be able to download the last available version for your car prior to the subscription expiry from MyAudi. The naming of map files seems strange to say the least. I have just installed the latest maps from MyAudi and yet the file name in the car says 2022. Also when you copy the files to a USB stick, the file plus the 2 directories needs to be at the top of the directory structure, ie you need to copy the file + directories from the download directory to the USB stick, not the directory itself. In my case after unzipping I had a directory called 02A00030 containing a file called 02A00030.mp5 plus a directory called Meta and one called Data. Copy these 2 directories + the .mp5 file to the USB stick not the 02A00030 directory, names may be slightly different for your download. Hope that makes sense.
Yes downloaded the map software directly from MyAudi although I’m not sure if it’s for my specific vehicle as it’s not connected.

Downloaded it in the way you’ve said with those two folders (meta and data) and one .mp5 file stored in the main folder of the USB stick. Pretty sure it was the same map code (02A00030).

Thanks for your help.

The car would be associated with your myAudi login, it would need to know what hardware you had in order to download the right maps, regardless of whether the car is connected or not. I also noticed on the Audi.co.uk site they now say that cars get free map downloads for 5 years. Not sure if that is applied retrospectively or whether that is just new cars

The car would be associated with your myAudi login, it would need to know what hardware you had in order to download the right maps, regardless of whether the car is connected or not. I also noticed on the Audi.co.uk site they now say that cars get free map downloads for 5 years. Not sure if that is applied retrospectively or whether that is just new cars
Yes my account is associated with the correct vehicle model.

Interesting if it’s now 5 years free updates as that should mean I’m still entitled to the latest updates- not sure what else to try though as I’ve attempted it twice now with no success.

I've just double checked and it turns out the code for the software version I've downloaded is 02600032 (so not the same as yours). I would have thought the map update software would be the same even though yours is a newer model (but of the same generation)?

My car uses the newer MIB-3 platform whilst yours is MIB-2, so would expect that could have a bearing on the map data. Also does your car have the Tech Pack? Mine does not, again making a possible difference

My car uses the newer MIB-3 platform whilst yours is MIB-2, so would expect that could have a bearing on the map data. Also does your car have the Tech Pack? Mine does not, again making a possible difference
Thanks for clarifying that - I assumed they were all the same.

Mine also doesn’t have the tech pack as I prefer the analogue dials so intentionally went for a car which didn’t have it.

The A6 switched the MIB-3 MMI platform in late 2020, key ways of identifying it are the presence of USB-C sockets in the arm rest in place of the USB-A and SD Card slot that was there with MIB-2.

The A6 switched the MIB-3 MMI platform in late 2020, key ways of identifying it are the presence of USB-C sockets in the arm rest in place of the USB-A and SD Card slot that was there with MIB-2.
Thanks for explaining that - mine has USB-A/SD and is pre-2020 so definitely the earlier platform.

Not sure what else to try in terms of the software update so I guess I’ll just have to put up with the odd new junction not appearing properly and some newer POIs not coming up. Not the end of the world by any means, just annoying.

I’ve also tried briefly connecting the car phone to see if it might update wirelessly but no joy with that either unfortunately.

I also have the older MIB2 version and just the other day downloaded the map from myAudi portal, extracted it onto the memory stick that was formatted to FAT32, stuck it in the 1st port in the car and it prompted me to update straight away, about an hour afterwards the maps were updated.

Thanks for explaining that - mine has USB-A/SD and is pre-2020 so definitely the earlier platform.

Not sure what else to try in terms of the software update so I guess I’ll just have to put up with the odd new junction not appearing properly and some newer POIs not coming up. Not the end of the world by any means, just annoying.

I’ve also tried briefly connecting the car phone to see if it might update wirelessly but no joy with that either unfortunately.
Unfortunately on the A6 connecting the phone does not provide the connectivity link for the car systems, it needs to use the built in SIM which requires a contract with Cubic Telecom after the initial "free" 3 year period or the renewal of the Audi Connect agreement. To be honest using CarPlay or Android Auto for navigation is probably a better option, it is free with your phone and Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps have more up to date maps. Only possible downside with this you cannot display the navigation map in the DIS, but I rarely if ever do that and you can only have one mobile phone connected rather than 2

I also have the older MIB2 version and just the other day downloaded the map from myAudi portal, extracted it onto the memory stick that was formatted to FAT32, stuck it in the 1st port in the car and it prompted me to update straight away, about an hour afterwards the maps were updated.
Interesting, I've already tried installing it twice but maybe I'll give it one more go based on your experience. Don't suppose you know the code for the file which installed successfully on yours (the one I've downloaded from MyAudi is: 02600032)?

Unfortunately on the A6 connecting the phone does not provide the connectivity link for the car systems, it needs to use the built in SIM which requires a contract with Cubic Telecom after the initial "free" 3 year period or the renewal of the Audi Connect agreement. To be honest using CarPlay or Android Auto for navigation is probably a better option, it is free with your phone and Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps have more up to date maps. Only possible downside with this you cannot display the navigation map in the DIS, but I rarely if ever do that and you can only have one mobile phone connected rather than 2
Thanks for explaining that - I'm guessing that's why the wireless map update didn't work. Personally I prefer using the car's built in sat nav and don't use carplay/android auto etc.

Interesting, I've already tried installing it twice but maybe I'll give it one more go based on your experience. Don't suppose you know the code for the file which installed successfully on yours (the one I've downloaded from MyAudi is: 02600032)?
This is the exact same file as the one I've downloaded. I suggest downloading it using something like Free Download Manager and unzipping the file using 7-zip to make sure there aren't any errors once it's unzipped and maybe try a different SD card/USB stick just for safe measure.

This is the exact same file as the one I've downloaded. I suggest downloading it using something like Free Download Manager and unzipping the file using 7-zip to make sure there aren't any errors once it's unzipped and maybe try a different SD card/USB stick just for safe measure.
Thanks for confirming that. I tried it again last night without success - re-downloaded the software from MyAudi and reformatted the USB stick (FAT32) but still had exactly the same problem where it recognises the update when I plug it in but then says: “Error: The update data are not compatible”.

I’ll try using an SD card instead in case it’s that. I’ve been using the standard Apple extraction software and can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t have extracted it properly (it’s giving me the correct two folders and one .md5 file).

What plate is your car please as that’s the only other explanation I can think of as to why yours is working and mine isn’t?

Thanks for explaining that - I'm guessing that's why the wireless map update didn't work. Personally I prefer using the car's built in sat nav and don't use carplay/android auto etc.
Also once you are no longer have a data connection for the car you lose the Infix real time traffic information feature of the sat nav and instead only get the TMC traffic data which is much more limited in its coverage and detail.

Also once you are no longer have a data connection for the car you lose the Infix real time traffic information feature of the sat nav and instead only get the TMC traffic data which is much more limited in its coverage and detail.
That makes sense as I remember the traffic information was more detailed when I first got the car and then it just stopped all of a sudden and is now more basic (as you've described).

Does the data connection end when the car is 4 years old? I'm guessing I should have got the maps updated by then but I just assumed the dealership would be able to do it at the next service.

Thanks for confirming that. I tried it again last night without success - re-downloaded the software from MyAudi and reformatted the USB stick (FAT32) but still had exactly the same problem where it recognises the update when I plug it in but then says: “Error: The update data are not compatible”.

I’ll try using an SD card instead in case it’s that. I’ve been using the standard Apple extraction software and can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t have extracted it properly (it’s giving me the correct two folders and one .md5 file).

What plate is your car please as that’s the only other explanation I can think of as to why yours is working and mine isn’t?
I think using MacOS is where the problem might be. My car is a 19 plate so it's also MIB2 High (MH2p) and we're downloading the same file so that's fine as well, if you go to the installation guide on the myAudi website though it does mention using free software called "TheUnarchiver" for older maps. I realise this map is brand new but maybe the car simply doesn't like whatever it is MacOS is doing, it might be worth trying to use a Windows machine for the whole process, starting with formatting and ending with extracting the zip file, just to make sure.

That makes sense as I remember the traffic information was more detailed when I first got the car and then it just stopped all of a sudden and is now more basic (as you've described).

Does the data connection end when the car is 4 years old? I'm guessing I should have got the maps updated by then but I just assumed the dealership would be able to do it at the next service.

Ends after 3 years, but it may be when you bought the car the dealer gave you an extra year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think using MacOS is where the problem might be. My car is a 19 plate so it's also MIB2 High (MH2p) and we're downloading the same file so that's fine as well, if you go to the installation guide on the myAudi website though it does mention using free software called "TheUnarchiver" for older maps. I realise this map is brand new but maybe the car simply doesn't like whatever it is MacOS is doing, it might be worth trying to use a Windows machine for the whole process, starting with formatting and ending with extracting the zip file, just to make sure.
I've just tried this and really hoped it was going to be the solution. I downloaded 'The Unarchiver', extracted the zip file using that software and transferred it to a 64gb SD card, but unfortunately ended up having exactly the same problem when I tried to install it in the car (an error message saying: "UPDATE: Error: The update data are not compatible").

So frustrating and I don't understand why it worked on your car but won't work on mine (as you said, everything is pretty much the same so there's no reason why it wouldn't work). I really thought this was going to be the solution but thanks for the suggestion anyway. The only other thing I could try is a windows computer but I don't have access to one so that's a bit tricky. If anyone has any other suggestions then I'm all ears.

Hi have you checked you Audi connect Nav licence expiry date in you mmi ? is its still valid ?

I managed to update mine today