Audi S1 Steering Wheel change problem

JoeScog

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive got an Audi S1 67 plate with a standard round steering wheel. I brought the flat bottom steering wheel for S1 few moths ago.
I went to change the steering wheel and noticed on the original round steering wheel there is an air bag release bar at the back however on the replacement flat bottom steering wheel there is no such device. Can anyone advise if the air bag will fit in the flat bottom steering wheel before I start the swapping them over?
I have attached pictures of the standard and flat bottom steering wheel for reference.
IMG 1639
IMG 1640

Not sure if this is relevant but I do not have the competition pack and is a 3 door.
Thanks

Flat bottom steering wheel has a different airbag.

Also, Competition models just have different trim, no mechanical differences whatsoever.

I've swapped a flat bottom wheel onto my S1 which came with a standard round one from the factory. Was a straight swap, a nice and easy job and only took about 20 minutes.

I can't recall the part number for the replacement airbag, and can't find it anywhere in my emails from when I ordered it. The only thing I would say is that the centre bolt holding the wheel on is a stretch bolt that should be replaced every time it is loosened/ refitted, it's a £10 part from memory. Sorry I can't be of more help

Hey if this is still on topic, I rebuilt my steering wheel and this is the part number for an original Audi S1 flat botton steering wheel airbag: 8V0 880 201 DA 6PS 02S. (sorry for the bad quality of picture)

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
and yes, the airbags are different from flat botton and round steering wheel. (mounting points with springs are different)