P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator A Performance

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.reallymeansounds.com
I have a 2014 S3 which is Revo tuned to Stage 3+ since October 2018. It has 80k+ miles and I drive it daily 50+ miles every week - with that considered, its a fantastic car but does have some issues over the last few years

Quick history:
  • Dirty fuel a few years ago resulting in me changing both my fuel pumps (After market) as well as the module on top of the fuel tank (wasn't required)
  • Recently changed (in the last month) the turbo waste gate actuator and since then the car has been fantastic and performance has been amazing
Fast forward to this morning

Hard acceleration in S2 joining motorway, car bogs down and throws me forward, no warnings or dash lights. I immediately knock it back into D and drive on my merry way with no issues.

Scan the car and get:
  • P0089 intermittent
  • P0089 static
Clear the codes, restart engine and no reappearance. I haven't driven the car since this morning due to work but can report back later this evening or tomorrow on my way home

I have looked up online and suggestions are fuel pressure reg (obvious), FP sensor, fuel pumps, etc... I know I need to do some tests for requested fuel vs actual but mechanic is on hols until next week.

What has me worried is that I attempted to fill the car last night with my local 99 ron fuel and the actual fuel nozzle pump was horrifically slow and to me sounded like it was on its way out. The clerk inside said maybe the holding tank was running low/empty and has me thinking I have bad fuel/dirt in my tank filter housing (reference back to having to change my fuel pumps a few years ago due to dirty fuel)

Anyone any insight to this? These codes were not present at the time when I changed the pumps a few years ago. Anything I can do in the interim before my mechanic is back?

As said, car drives ok, will just have to take it easy until properly diagnosed
:(

Thanks for your time