Best way to patch a small impact damage (key mark)?

ChromeX

Reaction score
Hi everyone, apologies if this isn't appropriate post for this sub but I would appreciate guidance on some damage I discovered on my car.

I walked to my car one evening and found someone had (purposely?) dented/marked the driver's side door with some force (using a key I suspect). The paint was removed - I tried using touchup pen to cover it up but doesn't solve help the surrounding area as the dent makes it quite obvious from most viewing angles.

Any tips on how I can fix this? I've seen a lot of praise for drcolourchip but not sure if it's suitable for this kind of damage. Otherwise, would I need to look at bodyshop repairs?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

That looks like a door ding where another car has opened their door onto yours (I have one similar) usually the pointed edge of their door just pings the skin on yours.
I would be tempted to see if there is is a PDR guy local to you. They will be able to get the dent out quite easily and if the mark is still noticeable due to paint loss may also offer a matched paint touch up or can recommend someone local to you for that.

That looks like a door ding where another car has opened their door onto yours (I have one similar) usually the pointed edge of their door just pings the skin on yours.
I would be tempted to see if there is is a PDR guy local to you. They will be able to get the dent out quite easily and if the mark is still noticeable due to paint loss may also offer a matched paint touch up or can recommend someone local to you for that.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried a couple PDR guys and they've recommended going to a body shop to get the whole panel resprayed!! Getting a mixed bag of quotes ranging from £200-£600. Very annoying when I've always done my best to look after my car....

I thought about it being a door hit but there was no damage to the mirror which is directly above the impact zone and assume the amount of force needed to dent and strip the paint would suggest a purposeful impact.

Perhaps a smart repair then?

If you look at rear doors (A5 included) they tend to have a pointed bit where the curve over the wheel arch meets the upright.
I have a similar ding caused by my youngest opening Mrs Bucks rear door onto my car #littleangels !!