Strange cold start rattling noise

Herc88

Reaction score
Hello i got an 2015 2.0Tdi CRLB with high mileage. I got a strange sound after a cold start and always if ambient temperature is more than 15celcius on winter time maybe once per month.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Hello i got an 2015 2.0Tdi CRLB with high mileage. I got a strange sound after a cold start and always if ambient temperature is more than 15celcius on winter time maybe once per month.

Hi, I have a 2017 2.0 TDi and recently had a rattle from somewhere behind the dash, or so i thought. Last week when the car was in for a service the mechanic found that the exhaust heat sheild was loose due to corrosion around the fixing bolts and he repaired it. To my surprise the rattle has now gone. I assume the heat shield was hitting against the exhaust and the noise was being transmitted forward along the exhaust pipe. May be worth checking your heat shield!

Hi I have same 2015 and I have it .. unfortunately that's the design .. guy above had different issue.. It is actually engine rattle please refer to this video
Try use proper oil less thicker so it will not stuck valve much.
I used wrong oil some time ago and now I am have used this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303124291825
There is even better but cost like £50 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20353277...uid=cpDMP2T2RX2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
I was thinking that was the vvt valve or the starter but why i got the symptoms only on summer time.

I was thinking that was the vvt valve or the starter but why i got the symptoms only on summer time.

Sorry I correct my self in my prev comment It actually need less thicker oil which will not let valve stuck the 0W-30 is runnier.. but higher quality but expensive
Yes it is bizarre but my car just loves cold weather :D during winter o from december to march april I never had rattle.. it is that valve operates better in cold perhaps ..