Bye bye my Noggy S3 :-(

jcs356

Brum brum
Reaction score
Afternoon,
After just shy of 19 years of ownership and at just over 22 years old, last month I sold my Noggy 8L :nogarors4: for breaking:cry:.
Hopefully she'll help to keep some of you on the road for a few more years.
Thanks for everyone's help over the past 19 years. I'm off to lurk on the 8V forum now courtesy of a 2018 Sportback in Ara blue.

Old and New Anon

Reactions: AlS3BE, Maz, MPH and 2 others
Enjoy the new car Jason

Reactions: jcs356
Good luck with the new car. The 8l will always be a classic!

Reactions: jcs356
Good luck with the new motor, I was in a similar quandary not so long ago and couldn't bring myself to get rid of the 8L. It failed its MOT for a broken H&R spring so rather than fix it and keep it moving I SORN'd it instead and upgraded. I loved my 8l and I'm finding it difficult to love the 8V in the same way but I'm getting there with each drive.

Attachments

• 8L & 8V.jpg
    8L & 8V.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: jcs356 and Ian W
Good luck with the new motor, I was in a similar quandary not so long ago and couldn't bring myself to get rid of the 8L. It failed its MOT for a broken H&R spring so rather than fix it and keep it moving I SORN'd it instead and upgraded. I loved my 8l and I'm finding it difficult to love the 8V in the same way but I'm getting there with each drive.
Thanks. Sadly it gave up the ghost at my mum's house, 300 miles from my own place. The cost of recovering it plus not having room to properly store it at mine (I already have 3 other cars plus the 8v) and a bill north of £1k to pass its next MOT meant it just wasn't going to make sense. I agree the 8V is taking some getting used to but definitely enjoying 38mpg on a motorway run.....

Thanks. Sadly it gave up the ghost at my mum's house, 300 miles from my own place. The cost of recovering it plus not having room to properly store it at mine (I already have 3 other cars plus the 8v) and a bill north of £1k to pass its next MOT meant it just wasn't going to make sense. I agree the 8V is taking some getting used to but definitely enjoying 38mpg on a motorway run.....
I remember when i got my S3 8L and got on the motoroway with it for the first time i was astounded to see a return of around 45 mpg. Being new at the time I remember being ultra cautious driver , doing mostly between 60 to 80 mph

45mpg ?

It must have had a fault.. or you were going down hill...

45mpg ?

It must have had a fault.. or you were going down hill...
true - i lie not, I've never been able to achieve that since then (this was many many years ago). my driving style has changed plus I've not been on such a long and steady journey since then. The 45 mpg was for the most of it at the speed I mentioned , no stop/starting/traffic.
Now I average about 29 mpg, I have not reset my trip meter for over a year or is 2! Bear also in mind I only do about 700-900 miles a year. The 45 mpg was not based on the meter, but in the early years I use to methodically write everything down and work it out when filing up every time!

Human error then, litres to gallon calc mistake, it was 10 quid not 10 litres, or the forecourt was on a slope.. These 210 / 225 cars are lucky to get 30mpg... they are 223 g/km co2 - that is 29.4 mpg

Screenshot 20230429 165330 Chrome

You cannot cheat science... :D maybe your car had a fueling fault and it was running lean 16:1 AFR instead of 14.7:1 but that might give you 2 extra MPG not 50% better economy...

The sports back s3 is about 169 g/km which is about 39mpg