Audi A3 2.0TDI help

AudiA3RA8P

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Audi A3 8P 2.0TDI and need help with a couple of points

For some reason the car seems to always end up at 1K revs when idling.
It comes down to 800 revs normally but straight up to 1k revs after a bit of time and usually spends more time at 1k revs than 800.

The car very rarely hits 90 degrees not sure if that’s an issue it’s between 60-70 normally

Strong fumes or burnt diesel smell in cabin when using AC occasionally, also in engine bay towards battery side

The mechanic said the smell is due to DPF but it seems to be kicking in a lot. The car goes on motorway trips a lot at 2.5k revs and has had the dpf additive a couple of times recently.

The car drives absolutely perfect but when there’s no acceleration in gear, and the car is slowing down it seems abit clunky. However when even a little bit of acceleration it given it’s fine and also full throttle it’s fine.

MPG has been very awful recently aswell

Not sure if all related or different issues
I tried to include as much information as possible
Any help is appreciated

Check all coolant hoses in the engine bay for heat to confirm circulation is ok.

I have a 2010 Audi A3 8P 2.0TDI and need help with a couple of points

For some reason the car seems to always end up at 1K revs when idling.
It comes down to 800 revs normally but straight up to 1k revs after a bit of time and usually spends more time at 1k revs than 800.

The car very rarely hits 90 degrees not sure if that’s an issue it’s between 60-70 normally

Strong fumes or burnt diesel smell in cabin when using AC occasionally, also in engine bay towards battery side

The mechanic said the smell is due to DPF but it seems to be kicking in a lot. The car goes on motorway trips a lot at 2.5k revs and has had the dpf additive a couple of times recently.

The car drives absolutely perfect but when there’s no acceleration in gear, and the car is slowing down it seems abit clunky. However when even a little bit of acceleration it given it’s fine and also full throttle it’s fine.

MPG has been very awful recently aswell

Not sure if all related or different issues
I tried to include as much information as possible
Any help is appreciated
It’s definitely running too cool, it should run at 90C all year round , the thermostat IIRC is rated at 87C so should be closed until that is reached when it should then allow coolant to enter the radiator etc.
Is the air from the heater outlets toasty or just lukewarm?
If the thermostat is duff (i.e.it has failed in the open position ) it’ll cause cool running and bad fuel economy and you won’t get really hot air from the heater vents.
Regarding the high idle speed , what happens if you turn off the engine and re-start it? Does the problem persist or does it go away?
I had this issue and the alternator was at fault.