DPF active regeneration every 5 miles?

olczu

Reaction score
Hi all

Is it normal for the DPF active regeneration to take place every 5-10 miles? I do mostly city driving but on a weekend go on 100-300 mile round trips and this is still happening practically every day. As an example last Sunday I have returned from a long motorway trip, parked my car for around an hour or so then went off again to a shop which is 2 miles away and it initiated again.

It's a pain to wait for it to finish for 10-20 minutes each day, if I interrupt it the fans go on like crazy for around 15 minutes. It's a A6 C8 40Tdi. DPF warning light is not on and never has been on.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Take to dealer under warranty hopefully, as that's not normal if you're doing long journeys every weekend.

Probably has an update anyway.

As above that certainly isn't correct and you should get it investigated sooner rather than later. Even though there is no fault light it's possible that one of the sensors has an issue. How many miles has the car done ?

I actually had a s-tronic oil change yesterday and it had a ECU update outstanding which was also performed. The car is on 40k miles

Hi all

Is it normal for the DPF active regeneration to take place every 5-10 miles? I do mostly city driving but on a weekend go on 100-300 mile round trips and this is still happening practically every day. As an example last Sunday I have returned from a long motorway trip, parked my car for around an hour or so then went off again to a shop which is 2 miles away and it initiated again.

It's a pain to wait for it to finish for 10-20 minutes each day, if I interrupt it the fans go on like crazy for around 15 minutes. It's a A6 C8 40Tdi. DPF warning light is not on and never has been on.

Thanks
Hi all

Thanks
How could you tell when the DPF regeneration was taking place please?

Also did you end up getting this sorted and if so what was the solution please?

Simplest way to tell a region its taking place s because the engine speed at idle rises from about 800rpm to somewhere around 1000-1100rpm. When the car is turned off and the region is still happening then the cooling fan will stay on and there is often a slight burning smell around the rear of the car.

How glad Im someone start on that subject :) DPF Control OBD plug and play module is the way to go.

Please guys don’t be fooled of long motorway journeys - if the guy drive on top gear with RPM under 2000 the natural re gen will not take place.

In my car and propably any 3.0 diesel the rpm will not move and fan will not kick in at all when the re gen is under way. The fan will kick in at later stage or when stationary re gen taking place

Hence the reason I got myself that device with LED light and got full control of my dpf now.

The software on new cars is designed to lower fuel injection when dpf is partaily full to prevent high pressure hence the reason you will not notice anything unless put the car on dyno.

When I used to got 40 tdi you could tell by rpm but not always that case.

In my opinion that often partial re gen is completely normal.

That device Im using can read and count soot mass and I notice that is doing quick re gen every now and again to lowr the mass by few gramms

Im happy to show the device and video how is work. Driving like a race driver or driving long distance its not when dpf will clear himself. You need to have at least 2000 rpm on and minimum of 40 mph for a longer period of time. Im achievieng this by locking the car in manual mode.

Got mine imported from abroad but you can buy one here aswell:

The re gen you see it at home when get back from shop its not the re gen should take place automaticaly this is because there was criteria meet for his normal re gen. There is several factors taking place and unfortunately people think driving on motorway is enough. It isn’t. I went thru all Germany without 1 successful re gen as my car at high speed on 8th gear only have 1500 rpm

Last edited:
Hi all

Thanks
What was the conclusion to this please? I'd be really interested to know if this was deemed normal behaviour or was there some sort of issue.

My 40TDI also regens quite often (based on the fans still going after the car has stopped etc as 'elan2s' has described) and it seems to have a negative impact on fuel economy.

I'm wondering if maybe these cars constantly do 'mini regens' to prevent buildup? Does anyone know if there's a way of monitoring it via the car or through obdeleven?

Last edited: