rumbling through car when over 35mph

lakers1234

Reaction score
Hi people,

I have a 2009 A3 TDI S line Quattro. Has 120k miles. 3 door Manual.

It's got a rumbling feeling through the car when exceeding 35-40mph. On flat smooth sufaces, it sounds like a tyre noise / wheel bearing, but I changed the wheels with some spare ones I had at home and the noise is still there, along with the rumbling, so I know it's not the tyres or wheels.

I then checked all 4 wheels for any play whilst the car being jacked up. No play. And also took it for a run, steering right and left to see whether the noise gets worse with either which could indicate wheel bearing. All good again, no play.

How could I narrow it down to the quattro system (propshaft, coupling, transfer box, haldex, pump) etcc ? Are there any tests to do which could confirm whether its this or not?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hi people,

I have a 2009 A3 TDI S line Quattro. Has 120k miles. 3 door Manual.

It's got a rumbling feeling through the car when exceeding 35-40mph. On flat smooth sufaces, it sounds like a tyre noise / wheel bearing, but I changed the wheels with some spare ones I had at home and the noise is still there, along with the rumbling, so I know it's not the tyres or wheels.

I then checked all 4 wheels for any play whilst the car being jacked up. No play. And also took it for a run, steering right and left to see whether the noise gets worse with either which could indicate wheel bearing. All good again, no play.

How could I narrow it down to the quattro system (propshaft, coupling, transfer box, haldex, pump) etcc ? Are there any tests to do which could confirm whether its this or not?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Maybe start a process off elimation .
Since u can have car jacked up ( hopefully all 4 wheels off ground IE ramp) check all steering components ) ( bushings) then move on from there . So front then work back to car . As its sounds from ur post more mechanical than electrical .
Then report bk

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Wheel bearings, cv joints, propshaft or its flex plates. Check each of them.

I have a similar issue, a rumbling sound in the cabin. Any thoughts? Car has 18 inch rims, tyres are nearly new, are they normally noisy?

I had a similar issue at ~90kph with tyre noise / wheel bearing.
An alignment solved it.

Check the dounts on your prop (both ends) as these are known to tear, especially when modded.