Q7 Start Stop troubles bubbling up, thoughts anybody had similar experiences?

ntp

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope all of you are doing well on this Saturday morning.

I have got a 2017 UK version of Q7 and from a few weeks now my Start Stop functions has started to play up. When the car has reached the conditions for it to be on, it works 4 out of 5 times. The strange thing is that when the 5th time (the failing one) comes, it turns off the engine as usual on a traffic light but when it is time to start, it gives it a go and then it turns off the car completely with displaying of an error of Start Stop malfunction and garage is needed. Then I restart the car and error gets cleared, when the next time comes it repeats again. It is obviously super inconvenient to have this happen on a busy traffic light in London .

Now, I am not an expert but do you think that my car battery almost 6 years now and never replaced, can be the reason? I have noticed the fist daily start of the car is rather long one. I don't drive much either.

I am expecting that 4 out 5 times working will get 1, 2 out of 5 times working over the next few months.

I can easily turn the Start Stop off on the dashboard and drive for now but would want to have this fixed. I have booked the local dealer to investigate but the first slot available is in 7 weeks time.

Anybody had something similar and 2hat was the cause of the malfunction of the Start Stop malfunction on your end? What was the cost roughly?

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

I'd say the six-year-old battery would be a very good place to start (pun not intended). It's amzing how an old and tired battery will cause random and mysterious electical gremlins to occur.

Reactions: ntp
100% have this. It’s the battery. I had this issue when my 2015 sq5 arrived at the start of this year, and after it becoming an issue at traffic lights within a week I got it looked it. They charged the battery and the issues disappeared for a while.
with short journeys it soon happens again, funny enough had it happen today after turning the start stop back on again.
I would suggest charging the battery, but if not doing long journeys it won’t charge enough by itself.
I’ve changed the settings via Carista to enable it to remember The last setting. So I use the switch to turn it off and it always stays off now so never get the problem as I ignore the system. I only recently turned it back on due to see if it made a difference to mpg and had that happen after it worked for about 3 times.
Now back off again :)

Reactions: ntp
Thanks all, so might just change the battery and check it out. If it disappears then lucky days. If not, then I will se the dealer to investigate it.

I have heard I cannot change the battery myself as it may give me a software fault. Do you know if this is the case? Any good places to get it replaced in and around London?

Hi all, just for reference purposes, I did replace my battery and start stop (and many other little things that I had forgotten about) came to light. The start stop is now working from the 5th minute of any journey, whereas before it was sleeping for hours. Somewhat the whole car feels different too.

Anyway, all good for now, will be cancelling the dealers diagnostics in Jan 23.

Lastly, Kwik Fit Old Kent Road did a wonderful job, the guys there know their stuff., they reset my battery code as well.

Back to driving until the next thing comes along.