Worn alcantara on steering wheel

RS_Rob

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions to hide scratch marks that now are appearing on the alcantara portion of my RS3 steering wheel. The hairy material has worn down over the years and looks like leather but does not hold up very well to marks from finger nails etc. Thanks, Rob

Tbh if it's that bad then retrimming needed, is it just flattened from hand sweat, oils etc?

Any pics?

Fibres worn out. Kind of looks shiny like leather but scratches much more than leather. Tried a spot with some leather hydration cream for furniture and seems to have done the trick. Too soon to tell how will be down the road. Can post a picture a bit latter if comes back, but seems better now.

It will be gunged up to hell. Mine was the same and took a few days in summer to freshen back up. I used a weak dilution of Koch Chemie- Pol Star and a very soft shoe brush(the beige one) and many microfibre cloths. You can’t soak it, so small applications and let it dry fully, then light brushing.

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing
It is just worn down over time. Still looks ok after my application of the the leather treatment, but I used very little so can't assure anyone that it would look ok if lots more of the stuff is applied.

Reactions: Marky79
It is just worn down over time. Still looks ok after my application of the the leather treatment, but I used very little so can't assure anyone that it would look ok if lots more of the stuff is applied.
Less is more, and time. You have to rejuvenate it slowly. Brushing is important after drying mate.

It will be gunged up to hell. Mine was the same and took a few days in summer to freshen back up. I used a weak dilution of Koch Chemie- Pol Star and a very soft shoe brush(the beige one) and many microfibre cloths. You can’t soak it, so small applications and let it dry fully, then light brushing.
+1 for Pol Star. 1:20 would be plenty. That's a backbone product for me. Not personally dealt with alcantara as of yet, so seeing how someone else sees best fit to approach the material is appreciated. Thanks.

I braved trying to clean mine today. I used Auto finesse Total and a clean micro fibre, Lightly rubbing the steering wheel with a cloth well wet with the Total. I has almost resigned myself to it being dead but after about half an hour it has made quite a difference. The cloth has become quite dirty so i may let it dry and have another go. But to say i was looking at a retrim,,, i am very happy with the progress from a single hit. Is the brushing to re fluff the pile so to speak?

I braved trying to clean mine today. I used Auto finesse Total and a clean micro fibre, Lightly rubbing the steering wheel with a cloth well wet with the Total. I has almost resigned myself to it being dead but after about half an hour it has made quite a difference. The cloth has become quite dirty so i may let it dry and have another go. But to say i was looking at a retrim,,, i am very happy with the progress from a single hit. Is the brushing to re fluff the pile so to speak?
Yeah, so once it’s dried. gently brush the pile back up. just take it slowly, the slower and more gentle you do it, the better the result.

Reactions: S3 Paul