A3 panic

Stevo8v

Reaction score
So I was driving back from work the other night and the Oil light came on when I came to a stop at a set of traffic lights.
So I gently drove it to the nearest BP garage and all they had was 5w 30. 1l bottles, I still had about 20 mins of driving left and I topped up the oil.
Now after reading online I should have used 0w 20 as its a 1.5 tfsi. I've only noticed a slight change to MPG but have I caused any damage by doing so??

The car is going for a service next week and at the Audi dealer in Hamilton so new oil will be going in.

Relax mate, it shouldn't cause any issues for that small amount, just get them to warm the engine so oil thins before removal, you'll be fine.

Reactions: Swanny356 and Stevo8v
Everyone panic when something pops on dash :D and in reality it just nothing you can keep driving like maniac still there will be plenty reserve and no harm :D

You had no oil. You’ve now got oil. Any oil will lubricate better than no oil. When you’ve had your service and have the correct amount and type, check it more frequently!

Reactions: Fatbloke and 147bear
Nothing will happen mate only long term use of a completely different type of non engine oil would cause damage.

I've only noticed a slight change to MPG but have I caused any damage by doing so??

Most likely that's unrelated, such as the recent drop in ambient temperature which affects MPG quite a bit.