A3 1.6 Sport

neilsafc

Reaction score
Hi as posted in the welcome board i have just ordered an A3 1.6 sport in moro blue with the bose sound system, i pick it up for the new reg on march 1st.

Anyway i was wondering what i can do to improve the pace of the car as the 1.6 is going to be a bit slow isnt it?

will i invalidate warranty with any work i do to it.

As you can tell i am very much a novice with the workings of cars.

cheers for any help.

I'm not sure but as far as I know the new A3 are not tunable. Except for the pasics to gain 2-3 BHP. Your best option is probably going to be to use a high octane fuel and additive.

And yes it will be slow.

Enjoy your new car.

[ QUOTE ]
Baz2003 said:
Even the standard laddette cooper without any supercharging outperforms the new A3 1.6Fsi, which targets a similar market

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have to argue against that. I think they are aimed at completely different markets!

If people want performance they will go for the more powerful engines, therefore removing the need to develop mods for the 1.6

Rich

Bazz,

The fact is if you throw enough money at a car it can be as fast as you want it to be, within reason.

BMW's in general are very un-tunable, especially when compared to other cars in the same sector, this is due to the fact that BMW remain with NA cars compared to others who look for forced induction systems. A simple chip added to a turbocharged car will often see gains of 30-50hp compared to the usual 10-15hp seen when a NA car is chipped.

If someone was specifically looking for a performance car then they would choose something that already has performance and has the potential for more. I selected the 1.8T because of it's tuning potential even though I knew the chassis wasn't quite up to the standard it should be, but knew it could be resolved relatively easily.

I have recently got rid of my 318ti (140hp), becasue as much as I liked it handling wise the cost of performance increases was well above what I was willing to pay. Around 3.5 grand for 196hp compared to the chip I added to my A3T for 800 quid giving me 200hp+.

So you can see the VAG range of cars is more tunable than those of BMW due to their use of turbochargers from factory, but it seems that Audi are going the same way as BMW with NA engines, so mods will be extremely costly.

If you wanted performance then why not choose the V6, 2.0 FSI/TDi above the 1.6??

The mats do look, ok on the car and i was just wondering how well they fit in the car.

A spoiler is an option but not sure where to get a one from, ive been told £199 from the dealer by a friend but havent seen any information on them so not sure they do them.

got the spoiler from a breakers yard....£55 ! as the s3 was black it was an exact match..then it was only £20 from a garage to have it fitted,bargain.