A3 8V PFL - Scraping noise while turning

EllDee98

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone has any idea here. Not necessarily a specific A3 or even Audi problem. Car: 2013 A3 Sport 8V

When I'm on full lock or near to it, it sounds like I can hear the tyre rubbing on the inside of the arch lining. I'm using the stock 17" alloys, tyres aren't anything unusual and aren't sticking out more than you'd expect. I notice that at very slow speeds (1-2mph), it becomes a ticking - the noise is only happening once per wheel rotation. Above that speed (3-10mph) it's a constant scraping noise. Anything above that and I can't hear it at all, but that may just be down to engine & road noise.

This has been going on for months now, if not the entire 18 months I've owned the car (although I didn't notice it at first). In this time it's passed MOTs, had multiple services, had new tyres, etc. It's also been in the air at 3 different places where I've asked them to investigate and all have said that they didn't spot anything out of place or obvious and they also tend to say that they don't hear the sound when trying to replicate. It can come and go - sometimes, particularly when I first start the engine, the noise isn't present. I have looked all around the arch linings myself and don't see any obvious reason for this.

I'm really stumped here. I'm basically being told that nothing is wrong but the sound is horrific - I can't go in or out of the multi-storey car park at my place without people staring because it's so awkwardly loud. I'm not a mechanic but I do have the basic knowledge of how cars work, parts/components & modifications etc.

I definitely don't want to be driving round in a potentially unsafe vehicle, while also likely causing further damage. Any recommendations would be massively appreciated!

Thanks in advance

If its not the tyre rubbing on something then it has to be either the wheel bearing or CV joint.