Synta Silva Oil - Usage

audipardner

Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone used this oil in their A4 before? I have a 2.0 N/A sport and this was used in its last service. It did come as a surprise to me that this was put in but seeing that it had come from a reputable indy I've left it at that. I am also aware that the VW/SEAT Cupra fraternity swear by the Gold version. However, yesterday the oil min light came on, just under 2k after the service. So, knowing that the car is running rich ATM and with an intermittent lambda sensor fault could this be the cause for it to use so much oil in the space of two and a half months!!!??? Either that or they didn't put enough oil back in after the engine flush??
The car on wet days does give off a bit of white smoke out of the back, but nothing too extreme. Normal days there's nowt, but there is quite a strong exhaust smell. Before the service it used to puff out a bit of smoke when It had stood runnning idle for a brief moment but hasnt done it since. Also been reading up on Valve stem seals and clearance etc...Oh dear..megga bucks. But there is no blue smoke at all. This is what i'm assuming:
There are only a few ways an engine can lose oil.

Past the piston rings. - Possible

Into the coolant circuit. - No visible oil

Down the valve guides. - Possible

External oil leaks. - None found

So a couple of things really, firstly, WAS this oil any good in my engine? If the car is running rich/lean? does that increase the oil consumption? Opie Oils do a good deal on the Castrol Edge, can I just put some more in or do I have to get it flushed again?
Thanks again chaps

hi mate
i had a simular problem on my car when i had it serviced from a local garage. when i bought it, (thought i'd get the oil changed to be safe)

a while later i kept getting low oil warings, took it staight to audi, the changed the oil level sensor....fault came back.....back to audi and had a second hand speedo fitted and adjusted....fault came back..... had the oil changed as the twats at audi put the old oil back in the engine when i had the sensor changed.... sorted, basically the oil in the car was to thick and not returning to the sump quick enough, causing the low oil light.

just to also let you know

white smoke is normally coolent burning
blue smoke is oil buning
black is over fueling

the white smoke your getting is prob condensation within the exhaust, unless you loosing water? your lambar sensor will cause the fault to fuel wrong and give off lots of exhaust fumes,

my advise would be change the oil and lambar sensor, but dont use any oil flush, disconnect the ignition coils and turn the engine on the starter for 3-4sec and pour in 1lt off new oil(audi stuff) at the same time, a bit scary but it will clean the top of your engine of old oiland clean the sump.

Thanks mate very informative..but scaarrrreeeee!!
Not losing any coolant but seeing that I was on fully synth then this guy putting in semi synth would explain it. Will revert back to 5w/30 Edge stuff. Looking at the dip when running its barely touching the bottom of it!!
Ok now some explaination on the techie stuff for fwits: Disconnect the coils (Ok - can do that one), and turn the engine on the starter??? Ok? what, just turn it over as normal? or is there somewhere you can activate it under the hood, (it's nice that I can produce some laughter first thing in the morning!!!)

Cheers

terrysingh said:
hi mate
i had a simular problem on my car when i had it serviced from a local garage. when i bought it, (thought i'd get the oil changed to be safe)

a while later i kept getting low oil warings, took it staight to audi, the changed the oil level sensor....fault came back.....back to audi and had a second hand speedo fitted and adjusted....fault came back..... had the oil changed as the twats at audi put the old oil back in the engine when i had the sensor changed.... sorted, basically the oil in the car was to thick and not returning to the sump quick enough, causing the low oil light.

just to also let you know

white smoke is normally coolent burning
blue smoke is oil buning
black is over fueling

the white smoke your getting is prob condensation within the exhaust, unless you loosing water? your lambar sensor will cause the fault to fuel wrong and give off lots of exhaust fumes,

my advise would be change the oil and lambar sensor, but dont use any oil flush, disconnect the ignition coils and turn the engine on the starter for 3-4sec and pour in 1lt off new oil(audi stuff) at the same time, a bit scary but it will clean the top of your engine of old oiland clean the sump.

Did the oil that they put in meet the correct VAG spec for your engine. Even if other people swear by it if it doesn't meet the VAG 50XXX spec for your engine I'd stay well clear of it. You should be able to see the correct oil spec in your manual.

ISn't Synta the name of the Quantam oil.......its VAG OEM oil from the dealers!!
Silver is semi synth, gold fully synth. Best place to get it is GSF, c.12 for silver, 24 for gold 5 litres cartons.

So I would suggest depending on what model you have the Quantum synta Silver semi synth is suitable. Some use Gold, some dont, reckon its too thjn for turbo motors but i use it on one of my turbos and its been fine.

Quite right Sinch, took it to my new bestest friend (the local Audi Indy) yesterday and he confirmed that the Quantum Silver Synta is what they used when he worked at Audi MD and still do. They use this when taking a car away from longlife servicing to fixed/variable. He said there's no problem in using it in my car from now on. So contrary to what I've been told before, I'll be keeping this in AND its a damn sight cheaper than the Castrol stuff to!!

Ta

******!! The joys of using 'quote' - Sorry SIMCH:)

audipardner said:
Quite right Sinch, took it to my new bestest friend (the local Audi Indy) yesterday and he confirmed that the Quantum Silver Synta is what they used when he worked at Audi MD and still do. They use this when taking a car away from longlife servicing to fixed/variable. He said there's no problem in using it in my car from now on. So contrary to what I've been told before, I'll be keeping this in AND its a damn sight cheaper than the Castrol stuff to!!

Ta

just run the starter using the key for a short while, not to long tho, just pushes the old oil out the lifters, this is before you remove the oil filter
tho