Parasitic Drain BUT not found using two multimeters

sheffieldyorky

Reaction score
Hi there guys & gals

I went outside to watch a YouTube video on my laptop and took it outside so I could refer to it while sitting in my Audi A3 1.9Tdi 8P1 March 2009 plate.

I latched both doors and the bonnet / hood

With my Robin AR4007 multimeter set to black lead in the common and red lead in 10a, max and the dial turned round to 10A I started getting the following readings the values kept hovering around 0.239 --- 0.240 then 0.300 then 0.560 then 0.141 then 0.112

0.073 --- 0.074.

The difference between the word "then" and the dash line --- = "then" the reading hovering backwards and forwards

The dash line ---started at the first number and finished at the second number.

While the Robin was sitting there doing its thing I used my other multimeter splinktech DM2 to check all the fuses on both

fuse boxes inside the cabin and under the hood and they ALL gave the same reading of 0.00, it got so bad I was even beginning to doubt my splinktech so I tested it on the + & - poles of the battery to get a reading I am still getting 12v etc.

But even after leaving the car for two days drains the battery, so now I uncouple the positive cable from the battery daily.

Does anybody have any ideas ?

As long as the fuses is removed & meter is on current, it should read correctly, 2 days drain would show a fair drain tbh.

Which head unit do you have & do you have Audi Bluetooth?

Does the dash led flash when car is locked & it does flash slowly after 30 seconds or so?

Ideally need to put a load tester in fuse position & lock & leave then see what's going on, which is same as the meter tbh, but to keep my OCD anal side on par I use a gunson load fuse tester.

Battery tested right?

As long as the fuses is removed & meter is on current, it should read correctly, 2 days drain would show a fair drain tbh.

Which head unit do you have & do you have Audi Bluetooth?

Does the dash led flash when car is locked & it does flash slowly after 30 seconds or so?

Ideally need to put a load tester in fuse position & lock & leave then see what's going on, which is same as the meter tbh, but to keep my OCD anal side on par I use a gunson load fuse tester.

Battery tested right?
  1. I have not removed any fuse.
  2. What do you mean by "head unit" as regards Audi Bluetooth I don't have a clue, as it's an 09 plate I think not.
  3. I have never seen it flash one way or the other.
  4. As regards a "GUNSON Auto Fuse & Tester Kit - 13 Piece - 77103" it is far cheaper for me to hold it up to the light to see if the fuse has blown OR I just check continuity across the two blades just saved myself £10: 00 or £12:00