p0299 Control Range Not Reached

Gwikran

Reaction score
The car is an Avant 2.0 TDI. I've been trying to solve this pesky fault code that frequently results in limp home mode. So far I've replaced two charge pressure hoses. One had a pretty nasty tear, but clearly wasn't the only culprit. I was hoping that someone smarter than me would be able to glean some info from the underboost pattern in the attached photo. I was unable to test the full RPM range since this almost without fail seems to put the car in limp mode. My suspicion is a bad wastegate, but I would like to cover all my bases before I go to the length of ordering and installing a new turbo.

So any tips pointing towards another charge pressure leak, vacuum leak or even turbo replacement would be greatly appreciated!

To clarify, green is specified charge pressure and yellow is actual.

Attachments

• 280065785_527711428763158_2714399779985582543_n.jpg
    280065785_527711428763158_2714399779985582543_n.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: tr7
No idea would love to help if I could. Replying as interested to see how this is resolved. As I suspect I might have a boost leak too and would like to diagnose it with VCDS logs like you have

Hopefully someone else might give it a stab :icon thumright:

No idea would love to help if I could. Replying as interested to see how this is resolved. As I suspect I might have a boost leak too and would like to diagnose it with VCDS logs like you have

Hopefully someone else might give it a stab :icon thumright:
Yeah, it's quite a nasty problem since it can have so many causes. Add exhaust leak, bad MAP-sensor or bad turbo actuator to that list by the way The logs could be helpful in the way that the provide more data, unfortunately I don't have the know-how to read anything conclusive from it aside from boost being late and way to low. I don't have a decent place to work either, so would love to avoid physically checking every single possibility if I don't have to.

Fingers crossed

Reactions: tr7