RS3 Lower End Engine Rattle

PTA

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 19 plate RS3, 12,300 miles, from an Audi dealer March 1st. Drove home all seemed okay, I was beaming. The 3rd day, my next drive, started up drove to my front gates stopped to open then noticed quite a loud lower end rattle drivers side. Waited a few minutes, checked Oil it was on Minimum, so much for the Audi 149 point check. Before I could top up oil, had to remove a load of Crap from around filler cap with a Hoover. Then see Filler cap is damaged and engine manifold cover. 750ml of oil later, now on maximum, rattle slightly improved but still very prominent. Also noticed front brakes Squeaking when applied from walking pace. My dream motor I thought, maybe not anymore and 50k!!! Still under warranty till May 22. Traded in my 68 plate S6 V8T, which was Totally Immaculate. I'm extremely pee'd off. Don't want all this hassle at my age. Any ideas as to what may be causing these noises would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20220303_150349.jpg
    20220303_150349.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 174
  • 20220303_152114.jpg
    20220303_152114.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 148
  • 20220303_150343.jpg
    20220303_150343.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
The squeaky front brakes are unfortunately a "characteristic" of the RS3, mine has suffered with it since I got it four years ago. It does come and go but definitely occurs the most when gently braking at slow speeds.

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 19 plate RS3, 12,300 miles, from an Audi dealer March 1st. Drove home all seemed okay, I was beaming. The 3rd day, my next drive, started up drove to my front gates stopped to open then noticed quite a loud lower end rattle drivers side. Waited a few minutes, checked Oil it was on Minimum, so much for the Audi 149 point check. Before I could top up oil, had to remove a load of Crap from around filler cap with a Hoover. Then see Filler cap is damaged and engine manifold cover. 750ml of oil later, now on maximum, rattle slightly improved but still very prominent. Also noticed front brakes Squeaking when applied from walking pace. My dream motor I thought, maybe not anymore and 50k!!! Still under warranty till May 22. Traded in my 68 plate S6 V8T, which was Totally Immaculate. I'm extremely pee'd off. Don't want all this hassle at my age. Any ideas as to what may be causing these noises would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Take it back. Get a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NWHighlander
Take it back. Get a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d tend to agree with T-1000, it doesn’t look great and you’ll be worrying about how long it’s been driven with low oil and why the filler cap etc is damaged, this kind of thing can spoil your enjoyment of the car and with your budget there’s no shortage of choice plus you should have no arguments from an Audi main dealer.

Reactions: jimojameso and 8YARWY
From my experience, these engines are noisy. Also in idle, cold or warm. I stopped listing.

Very odd. also odd that there are chunks missing from the cover. I would get a professional check of the car done to get a thorough idea of the history as currently it's not looking great.

Reactions: jimojameso