drop link problem

John hughes

Reaction score
hi, I own a 2004 Audi a3 2.0tdi bkd. I changed the drop links a couple days ago and since doing so I'm experiencing a horrible bang or clunking noise, it fills really quiet bad, as if the wheel or something near it is either snapping or catching on something. iv checked the links twice, made sure both wheels were of the ground for fitting and every thing. is there any known things that can go rong that people no of after fitting drop links. as this only happened after doing the job. please help. thanks

Have you got coilovers installed?
I had a problem when I installed my coilovers the droplinks were too long and pushed the ARB down, it would bang on the subframe when going over any form of bump.

no its on original oem shocks, i striped it down again to day and checked it over a bit more, thought id see if the arb was maybe seized in its bushes but moves freely enough, when I first did the job I didn't think to have both wheels of the ground and so did one side at a time that way, but then thought about it more and redid it with wheels of the ground, its strange, its like something is snapping or clunking.

I would check to see if they are the same length droplinks as the original, and when tightening the ends of the droplinks, do it as tight as you possibly can, I've read that sometimes if the nuts aren't tight and have a bit of play, they make a clunking noise.

yeah they were defiantly the right size, I all ways compare parts before replacing, but yeah will defiantly double check how tight they are, I red online that they were to be at 50nm so this time iv done them at 70nm.

That should be tight enough.
It's a bit of work, but perhaps try installing the original ones back in and see if it's the new droplinks causing the issue, or if by replacing them, its caused something else to happen.

i did think of doing that to be honest but only thing is i had to cut one of with a angle grinder due to be seized on. :grumpy:

Rough.
Are you able to get the car on ramps so the suspension is under load, put your phone camera underneath it, and then push down on the bonnet to try and replicate the clunk?
You might be able to see what's hitting or moving.

yeah maybe worth a try, I mean I do have a set of them drive up ramps, should do the trick I spose, but then saying that I did try to bounce car while on the drive to see if I could here any thing but couldn't that way. iv noticed from it happening a few times now that its mainly at slow speeds or coming to a steady stop speed, not sure if that helps with any thing.
Once again I have been out and redone the job again just for peace of mind, I have looked to see if there's any thing not right with the bar its self but all seems fine, it moves freely enough in the bushes, there's no split or crack in the bar as far as I can see, and as said iv done the nuts up to 70nm this time, so ill try it out and let you no how it goes.
Thank you for your help so far XS3

was due to mot in 2 months, was just going over car getting it ready, the old ones had split boots on both. so replaced them with new, i just tried the car again and before even getting to the end of my lane it did it, seems to be passenger wheel side. its quite a bang or clunk noise and thats just like 10 to 15mph coming to a stop.

Off the top of my head i'd check the wishbone ball joints and bushes, track rod ends, coil springs haven't snapped and top mounts.

Just had my RSQ3 back from my Indy...she went in as clunk got worse over a few days from offiside front. Pot holes and speed bumps over time resulted in broken coil spring... Drop links also needed replacing when changing the springs. All good now and no creaks or bangs... Might be worth biting the bullet and getting a garage to check things over for piece of mind...

yeah its all good now, went out to day and it did it again. so I had another look and what it was is my small spline socket had snapped when trying to undo the old drop link and I never new where it went, till this afternoon that is, it had fallen in through the vanes of the brake disc and wedged its self around the hub, so every now and them when coming to a stop it would jam up. just glad its okay.
but thanks for the help on here guys, much appreciated.

Reactions: XS3
there's one more thing I could use a bit of help with though, I been trying to look into why when I put my heating on all my windows fog over, it happens a lot, some times it can just start doing it even after its been on for a while and been fine, I had found a few drops of anti freeze on the heater core pipes on back of heat shield, i have looked through the car for damp or water in foot wells and stuff like that but this car is bone dry, just wondering if it could be to do with heater matrix

Glad you found the clunk, and that it wasn't an expensive fix.
As for the heater, no clue, I'm from Australia so I don't generally use the heater!