Ebay Wideband conversion kit

T3r0

Reaction score
Hello.
Has anyone tryed this conversion kit?

And if i do this conversion, do i just copy the existing Map from my S3 ECU to the new one so i can drive the car to the tuner shop for tuning?
or will there be big issues before i get it tuned?

Best regards/ Tero

Firstly there are more differences than an ECU and wideband wiring to consider... on a wideband S3 for example you have EGT and VVT plus no SAI... also... you current wideband map cannot be transferred as they are not cross compatible

At the very least you will need a wideband basemap from an S3 (AMK/BAM) that has VVT and EGT coded out... you will also need to change the MAF sensor as the narrow band and wideband sensors are different and incompatible with the maps....

One last thing is that some early S3's didn't come with an engine control relay so if yours hasn't got one you will need to wire that in too

<tuffty/>

Firstly there are more differences than an ECU and wideband wiring to consider... on a wideband S3 for example you have EGT and VVT plus no SAI... also... you current wideband map cannot be transferred as they are not cross compatible

At the very least you will need a wideband basemap from an S3 (AMK/BAM) that has VVT and EGT coded out... you will also need to change the MAF sensor as the narrow band and wideband sensors are different and incompatible with the maps....

One last thing is that some early S3's didn't come with an engine control relay so if yours hasn't got one you will need to wire that in too

<tuffty/>
Okey.
My S3 is a -99 APY. Dose that have a engine control relay? How do i check if i have one?

On the right hand side of the engine bay as you are looking into it there is a plastic channel where the loom goes down to the battery... on the bulkhead to the left of this at the top there is a plastic container... the top is removable and this should contain the relevant relay... from memory its grey in colour and marked 428

<tuffty/>

On the right hand side of the engine bay as you are looking into it there is a plastic channel where the loom goes down to the battery... on the bulkhead to the left of this at the top there is a plastic container... the top is removable and this should contain the relevant relay... from memory its grey in colour and marked 428

<tuffty/>
There is a grey relay but its marked 373

Google suggests that the 373 relay is for SAI...

<tuffty/>
Yes. And some other things.
Is it possible to change the harness to for example a wideband harness with the engine relay and code out the VVT, EGT and SAI and use a BAM base map?

Arguably yes but I think you will also need to change the cluster too.... bare in mind that if you change the ECU regardless you will need to immo defeat it or recode the ECU/Cluster to allow the engine to even start

<tuffty/>

Arguably yes but I think you will also need to change the cluster too.... bare in mind that if you change the ECU regardless you will need to immo defeat it or recode the ECU/Cluster to allow the engine to even start

<tuffty/>
Okey.
What would you recommend as the easiest way to get a wideband?
Will a sensor and a gauge do for a tuner since im only gonna do a upgraded k04 that can flow for about 310hp for now.

The reson i need a retune is because i built my engine with the lower kompression pistions from wiseco.
Might not have been the best thing to do but now its done since i didn't know better at the moment ‍=p

A sensor and gauge won't affect the tuning... it won't be able to be used by the ECU at all so will only really act as a visual aid to AFR....

Wideband conversions are not really that difficult or involved but there are a few caveats... I believe you can still wideband the car without a cluster change but you will have to immo defeat the ECU... if you want the immobiliser to work then I believe you will need to change the cluster...

If you want to use the feature set of the wideband S3 map file then you will need to consider adding EGT and VVT... that means you will need to source the EGT sensor and a VVT tensioner and wire those in... I also believe the later VVT 1.8t inlet cams are different as the centre lobe is slightly offset to allow for VVT... that said I am fairly sure that not a big issue...

If you just want the wideband 'safety' then you will need the ECU and wiring for the lambda + a wideband probe... you will also need the engine/ecu control relay wired in if you haven't got it already and your tuner will also need to know how to code out VVT and EGT from the map... SAI wasn't fitted to AMK/BAM engine codes

Tuning a narrow band ECU for higher power is not the most fun in the world, wideband is certainly easier but obviously in your case its complicated by the requirement to convert...

<tuffty/>

A sensor and gauge won't affect the tuning... it won't be able to be used by the ECU at all so will only really act as a visual aid to AFR....

Wideband conversions are not really that difficult or involved but there are a few caveats... I believe you can still wideband the car without a cluster change but you will have to immo defeat the ECU... if you want the immobiliser to work then I believe you will need to change the cluster...

If you want to use the feature set of the wideband S3 map file then you will need to consider adding EGT and VVT... that means you will need to source the EGT sensor and a VVT tensioner and wire those in... I also believe the later VVT 1.8t inlet cams are different as the centre lobe is slightly offset to allow for VVT... that said I am fairly sure that not a big issue...

If you just want the wideband 'safety' then you will need the ECU and wiring for the lambda + a wideband probe... you will also need the engine/ecu control relay wired in if you haven't got it already and your tuner will also need to know how to code out VVT and EGT from the map... SAI wasn't fitted to AMK/BAM engine codes

Tuning a narrow band ECU for higher power is not the most fun in the world, wideband is certainly easier but obviously in your case its complicated by the requirement to convert...

<tuffty/>
Thanks for the info.
Think I'll try to find someone that can tune the car with narrowband for now and look into the wideband conversion later down the road when i start building the BT kit, I'll probably switch to a Maxx ECU at that point aswell.

<tuffty/>
If I want the wideband saftey. What dose the widebandlambda do in that case?
Just checks if AFR is okey?
Or dose it help regulate the AFR if its off?
Dose it make it easier for the tuner to build a map for my car?

Narrowband lambda only does part thottle/idle AFR regulation... on WOT the ECU is blind to AFR so tuning can be more involved to get fuelling right under load... the safety aspect is that wideband can actually see AFR under load/WOT so can make adjustments as required to meet target AFR... this means that tuning is easier and if you have an issue with fuel delivery then the ECU can react more readily....

My personal view is that the wideband ECU is generally leads to a more reliable tune plus it has additional features like VVT which helps spool and EGT which helps with keeping the engine running a bit cooler when needed...

If you are not going mad on power and not modded the engine that much then arguably there is no real need to do the conversion... but if your plan is for a hybrid or larger frame turbo then wideband is a better bet

<tuffty/>

Narrowband lambda only does part thottle/idle AFR regulation... on WOT the ECU is blind to AFR so tuning can be more involved to get fuelling right under load... the safety aspect is that wideband can actually see AFR under load/WOT so can make adjustments as required to meet target AFR... this means that tuning is easier and if you have an issue with fuel delivery then the ECU can react more readily....

My personal view is that the wideband ECU is generally leads to a more reliable tune plus it has additional features like VVT which helps spool and EGT which helps with keeping the engine running a bit cooler when needed...

If you are not going mad on power and not modded the engine that much then arguably there is no real need to do the conversion... but if your plan is for a hybrid or larger frame turbo then wideband is a better bet

<tuffty/>
Okey. My future plan is higher power 400-500hp.
But for now because of lack of money im going to stay around the 300 mark. Since the bottom end and head build took more money then i thought

Reason why I'm looking at wideband now is because it looks like most tuners here want wideband to tune.

Will it be enough to do the wideband conversion now without the EGR and VVT to make the job easier for the tuner?

I would do the wideband conversion now... makes life a lot easier on your route to that power level... you would need to make sure you tuner can code out the EGT and VVT else you may need to source those parts and wire in... tbh it would be in your best interest to add EGT and VVT if aiming for 500hp

<tuffty/>

I would do the wideband conversion now... makes life a lot easier on your route to that power level... you would need to make sure you tuner can code out the EGT and VVT else you may need to source those parts and wire in... tbh it would be in your best interest to add EGT and VVT if aiming for 500hp

<tuffty/>
Hi tuffty sorry for reviving an old thread but im currently in the process of swapping to 7.5 on my APY and my tuner told me that i need to swap the wiring loom/harness that comes out by the MAF (left side) so the smaller one. Can i take this loom from any 1.8t or does it have to be a k04 model car?

Additionally my tuner recommended me to use EGT and how would one go about that? reprogram existing wiring? from what ive read current wiring is fuse 61 so fan control instead of egt...