2.5TDi Cambelt change old chestnut

JohnboyC

Reaction score
My Nov 2003 Audi A4 Avant 2.5TDi Quattro Sport has only done 27K miles.....whilst chatting to my local main stealer (Preston Audi, Lancs) I was verbally assured that the cambelt needs to be changed at 80K miles - he even pretended thatthe car was going in for a service by quoting the chassis number at the mechanics who dialled up their service info and agreed it was 80k miles........and age does not feature when belt is changed.....i.e the 4 years banged on about in these forums was not mentioned - even I after I mentioned it..still no, its mileage not age that counts....

Service bloke did say that the cambelt should be checked at every service though....

Has anybody out there with the trusty old 2.5TDi B6 Audi ever had a cambelt break...what mileage had you covered ...and did it completely trash the engine.....

I will prob get my cambelt changed at 50K along with water pump anyways.....:readit:

Wots everyones view on here...i still have 8 months of Audi warranty left ;-)

For what it's worth, I'd not risk it. Cambelts can be changed by any competent independent for not a lot of money. If your belt does snap you're going to have an awful lot of damage at the very least, the valves will probably be bent and the pistons will probably be damaged too. You really don't want that kind of trouble.

Unless your cambelt snaps at idle, you ARE going to do a lot of damage. All diesels are interference engines so the pistons and valves will get together for a little dance!

Think of changing the belt like buying insurance.

One final thing, I believe Audi dealers now give a 2 year warranty on parts fitted by them. Not sure if that means they would replace your engine if the belt snaps or just give you a new belt but it might justify the extra cost of going to them over an independant.

Even though the car has only covered 27K miles, as it's nearly four years old, you should consider having it done, even though it's not due.

When I bought a diesel Golf for Mrs Mook about 7 years ago, we were reassured the cambelt had been changed by the (non dealer network) garage we bought it from. 18 months (out of warranty) and about 20K miles later, it snapped. Full top end rebuild and not much change from £2K.

I don't want to fill you with gloom and doom, but it's just not worth the risk. The V6 TDI means a lot more work if the cambelt goes.

Im up on nearly 100k now on my 01 B6 1.9TDI and thinking of getting the timing belt done whe it hits the 100k. It says in the service history it was changed at 60K but there is nothing written on the engine and there is a little noise from the engine that i suspect might be a broken tensioner rattling around. Maybe Im a little paranoid about the noise though... it just sounds a little louder than my mates 03 1.9TDI. Is that normal?
Would you guys agree to get it done at the 100k anyway?

I bought my V6 TDI from Audi and they recommended a belt change at 60k. They were more than happy to do this before I took and paid for the car - and I also asked that they replace tensioners, rollers and the water pump at the same time. All in all, the quotes I got for the work ranged from £550 at a good independent to £1200 at an Audi main dealer in the South East.

Get it done and save yourself those heart-in-the-mouth moments when you hear an unusual noise in the engine bay!!!

mine was 4 Years and 80k, as everybody says get it done. It really isn't worth the risk