Audi A3 8V 1.8TFSI - EPC light - P256300

AUDIA32013

Reaction score
CAR: Audi A3 8V chassis 1.8 TFSI
- only use branded petrol and do oil changes when service intervals appear on car dashboard
- No extensive experience working on modern cars (some old rally cars etc through Uni)

So, I've had this EPC light for a while (Comes on in winter, disappears in summer) and I've been trying to sort it out to little avail. I've had it scanned and gotten back P256300 (Turbo actuator position). The light comes on intermittently when cold and very very occasionally if stopped in traffic for a while, but is always solved with a turning on and off of the car. I've used some Wynns EGR valve cleaner and it's stopped it coming on when starting up, now only when cold and above 2000 revs~. A garage in london has replaced the diverter valve but it changed absolutely nothing. The issue makes no difference at all to the car, responds well, accelerates great and cant feel any difference light on or off.

- I'm wondering whether to take it for a carbon clean
- If it might be related to a bad actuator?
- Could it be related to the turbo pipe blowing off 2 years ago after some work was done and they did not reconnect it properly? - doubtful of this but it may be information of use

Summary:
- Intermittent EPC light that has no effect on performance in anyway. - Only Occurs at cold and sometimes in heavy traffic
- Solved by turning engine off and on again and doesn't come up again for that journey.
- Garage Replaced diverter valve but it did not change anything.
- Wynns EGR Valve cleaner stopped it occuring at startup. - Maybe dirty turbo?
- Halfords garage incorrectly re-attach turbo pipe about 2 years ago during some work and it blew off mid motorway journey but was fixed about 1/2 week or so late with a small bit of driving.

Would really appreciate some thoughts as to the possible culprits, I'll try give as much info as possible with my limited experience.

Reactions: niickyuen
Exactly the same issue as yours. Intermittent EPC light usually on start up and cold engine. Seems to resolve itself after a journey and no impact on performace.

Reactions: AUDIA32013
Hi, I do have the same issue with my 1.8t. Got my turbo actuator changed...so far all is well :thumbs up:
Hi, can you tell me how/where you got this diagnosed as the cause of the fault and roughly how much was the fix? Many thanks.

@bobster07 Cost me £560 in london. Diagnosed by plugging it in and then they called up a mate of theirs who's 'ex-audi/vw'. They replaced the boost control valve (little plastic bit of kit that apparently is a common issue) (£160), that didn't work so then they replaced the actuator (£400) and I'm testing it this weekend to see if its properly sorted. Fingers crossed.