Recommended battery for an A6 C7?

Reaction score
Hi - I appreciate mine isn't quite the same as most A6's out there and being petrol, the battery spec's might be different, but does anybody know the spec of the one in our cars?

(or a good place to verify that?)

I was looking at this:

Bosch S5A11 Car Battery 80A / h-800A

But the description seems to say "fits everything", which had be suspicious as that's a big lump to have to send back!

So I hunted around a little more and there's also this one:

Bosch S5A13 Car Battery 80A / h-800A

4cm longer, 12kg lighter..... and also fits our cars (same "80A" ( assume they mean "CCA") and slightly larger total capacity of 95Ah rather than 80Ah....

It's not urgent, but I'm pretty sure mine is on the way out - engine seems to need to be running for about 3hrs of motorway slog before the stop-start will work.... or if I run a re-conditioner/trickle charger it will work for a journey immediately afterwards, but not 2 days later. Recently been getting "low battery" warnings if I leave the seat heater on for a few minutes of the engine being off.

I may have answered my own question, but feel free to contribute if anybody has any suggestions:

But Bosch seem to suggest the S5A11, but I'm happy to pay £15 more for a higher spec, LIGHTER version!

Last edited:
This may help, if you’ve not already purchased.
Save yourself a significant amount if you purchase from eBay. Some big battery dealers on there :icon thumright:

My Battery thread

Reactions: BahnStormer77
This may help, if you’ve not already purchased.
Save yourself a significant amount if you purchase from eBay. Some big battery dealers on there :icon thumright:

My Battery thread
Thanks @RAF_S7

It looks like the batteries are THAT universal: considering I do all my own maintenance and servicing on my trackday car, I really know NOTHING about the snotwagon - I'm used to having to replace things like that with clearances to the nearest milimetre and needs to weigh the same too... seems the old tank is less fussy :)

Interesting really the replies that there wasn't a Bosch 95Ah code for the battery in VCDS.... I'll see how I go with that as I've ordered the Bosch S5A13 (same as @KrisKrk ) - I'm guessing that even though my C7 is probably one of the oldest around (A6 petrols were stopped in 2012), it's probably still closer to your S7 than a C6.... either way, it looks like it should fit physically, just fine.

I'll just have to see what was in there from factory in case it needs the Acid/AGM switch, not sure what was standard 10yrs ago, but I've got a genuine RossTech cable floating around somewhere, in case it needs any VCDS coding.... might even fire it all up and check the settings while I wait for the delivery (due later this week).

Reactions: RAF_S7
Fortunately Amazon have a "collection" service for that battery and I was able to order the 105Ah spec battery that I have in the car already (Bosch S5A15 AGM battery - if anybody is interested).

While checking VCDS, I noticed that as soon as the engine is off the battery drops to 11.7V within a minute.... and also that none of the interior lights cabin/boot are firing when you unlock any more, not to mention that the start process is now sounding "tired".... definitely due soon!

One other note: Amazon was a great price and quick delivery for the S5A13, but Amazon reseller that was listed for the S5A15 - the that I needed - was going to be over a week to delivery and £50 more than the alternatives.

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/ was cheaper and next day delivery!

The Bosch S5A15 105Ah was a straight swap for the "JCI" (Varta) that was in the car from new... boot lights, interior lights, courtesy lights (after the car is locked), etc are all working again now.... not driven anywhere, but I'm pretty confident Stop/Start will work too :)

Notes for anybody looking to do this..... Tools needed: 13mm socket, 10mm socket and a reasonably large (~25cm) socket extension for the 13mm.

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing and RAF_S7