Fan Problem?

EGT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum.

I've recently bought a 2017 A3 2.0L TDi 185bhp Black Edition, its only done 39k.

I've noticed that the Start/Stop has stopped working which is most likely due to doing short distances.

Anyways, I've noticed that if I do a 15 Mile Trip or a 2 Mile Trip the Engine Fan runs for 5 mins or so after shutting off the Engine and it'll happen everytime.

Is this normal? Engine Temp is normal from what I can tell within the Car.

Thanks!

fan is most likely coming on due to a dpf regen being interrupted. Diesels are not good for short journeys as the dpf will get clogged up.

Reactions: JohnM100
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum.

I've recently bought a 2017 A3 2.0L TDi 185bhp Black Edition, its only done 39k.

I've noticed that the Start/Stop has stopped working which is most likely due to doing short distances.

Anyways, I've noticed that if I do a 15 Mile Trip or a 2 Mile Trip the Engine Fan runs for 5 mins or so after shutting off the Engine and it'll happen everytime.

Is this normal? Engine Temp is normal from what I can tell within the Car.

Thanks!
Don't do SS in short time.. like in traffic.. car mostly will get ''confused'' do SS when you know you going to sat for longer time. when you about to turn left-right and you have to stop quickly press the buton that SS will be off..
Fans spinning is normal ... depends if yo using A/C as well or you will rev your engine or accelerating fast from stop..

Thanks for the replies!

I don't really have the AC on unless its roasting like we've had before.

Is there a was of cleaning the DPF? REDEX?

I usually do longer miles but as im working from home at the moment I'm not doing what I tend to do.

This car has been sat at the dealership for like 6 months not doing much and I gave it a good drive coming home, start/stop worked. But I think the battery requires a longer trip to get fully charged.

I agree with AlS3BE, especially if the fans are going full blast after turning the engine off.

Once engine is warm, take it on the motorway for a few junctions and pick a time when there is unlikely to be slow stop/start traffic. Choose a gear so you are between 2.5k - 3k rpm and it will complete the regen cycle.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Thanks for the replies!

I don't really have the AC on unless its roasting like we've had before.

Is there a was of cleaning the DPF? REDEX?

I usually do longer miles but as im working from home at the moment I'm not doing what I tend to do.

This car has been sat at the dealership for like 6 months not doing much and I gave it a good drive coming home, start/stop worked. But I think the battery requires a longer trip to get fully charged.
Yeah it does when that dpf is whatever.. As I don't have it often.. My dpf is pretty much normal as I drive 60 miles every day to work n back home
And time to time I have fans spinning when I park but for me is because I often accelerate fast from stop.. So engine and trans get little bit hotter.. :)

Thanks for all the replies! I'll give it a blast this evening and report back.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll give it a blast this evening and report back.
The DPF on these newer audis is no big problem anymore like it has been on 8Ps .. You don't really need to go and blast the car.. I never had issue with DPF, it's been 2 years. The fans running is normal thing on car it is set in computer regullar repeat.. If you still have SS problem chek it with VCDS if there are any errors.
Thnx

The DPF on these newer audis is no big problem anymore like it has been on 8Ps .. You don't really need to go and blast the car.. I never had issue with DPF, it's been 2 years.
[snip]

Probably because:

Yeah it does when that dpf is whatever.. As I don't have it often.. My dpf is pretty much normal as I drive 60 miles every day to work n back home
[snip]