Exhaust Mod

Well, well...looks like the 8P S3 owners are just as sensitive as the 8L are.
Honestly...it's opinions.
If you don't like them, move on....don't get bent out of shape over them.

Sadly, I too see the A3 as being the chariot of choice for the well to do Chav.
Perhaps it's just the Aberdeen area...but there are some pretty grim examples around here (scraping the floor, stupidly loud exhausts, silly wide cheap-*** rank looking wheels, dodgy lights and pimp tints all round).
I'm pleased I got rid of my 8L S3 just before the image sunk beneath the pavement.

Sadly, there are the signs that the 8P is going the same way.

I've been on the forums for a while now, and the one thing that is always constant is Bowfer and has negative comments about Audi and the A3 in particular.

I for one will be glad when he finally gets rid of his A3 and leaves this forum. He will not be missed :noway:

bowfer said:
Pethetic ?

TBH, I wish you S3 boys would feck off and get your own part of the forum

It's all dark windows and illegal exhausts.
"S3 boys" - talk about generalisations! I'm an "S3 boy" (with no mods of any kind) and while I might agree with some of your points, you do nothing but wrap them up in so much stinking sh*t that all you manage to do is wind everyone up and look like a complete ar*e!!

I mean "dark windows"!?! Will that be "security glass" that is offered as an optional extra by pretty much every manufacturer under the sun. An extra that reduces you insurance in some cases!

My God!! Audi better be careful!!

Bloke down the road has just bought a Q7.
Going by the massive wheels and black windows,I thought 'Fiddy' had moved into our street.
The noise it makes is quite incredible too (3.0 diesel).
It's like a giant hoover,sucking in everything around it.
Really unpleasant,un-enginelike noise.
Combined with the knobber with the RS4,who treats the gaps between the speed humps as an acceleration/braking zone,I find myself getting a wee bit concerned with the image of Audis these days.
Drug dealer chic rules,apparently.
No class.

Discuss.

typical and this was ages ago

Alex, who cares?

If you like your car and enjoy driving it then your're happy - right?

Bowfer's just annoyed that he can't afford an S3 and has to drive about in a kangaroo like fashion! 2.0TDI and DSG not a good combo!

Well i haven't been on this forum for very long, being a long standing member of the TT forum and moved on to an S3 i thought i would become a regular here.

Every forum has their resident depressive/aggressive clearly Bowfer, but as a mod, reading some of EssThrees' posts and his signature statement makes me question why he is here as well, and who gave him mod status? :think:

FYI a majority of V6 TTers have disconnected their exhaust solenoid for years and is a popular mod.

If you don't like Audi's then why are you constantly on this forum?

S3Didge said:
FYI a majority of V6 TTers have disconnected their exhaust solenoid for years and is a popular mod.

So getting back to the point in hand, have you done this? If yes, what has been your experience?

IH786 said:
I've been on the forums for a while now, and the one thing that is always constant is Bowfer and has negative comments about Audi and the A3 in particular.

I for one will be glad when he finally gets rid of his A3 and leaves this forum. He will not be missed :noway:

Bit harsh and uncalled for this.

Like Rich I agree he would be missed.

You've only been on here 6 months, Bowfer has contributed a lot to this forum over the last nearly 3 years. Ok, so he has a bit of a downer on his current ride, but a lot of us have experienced the same issues as him right the way down to fuel caps that don't open. He has a wealth of automotive knowledge and his contributions have been valuable.

Sometimes he plays Devil's Advocate, others may not understand his humour or agree with some of his views but he's a long standing and valued contributor. You may not agree with his opinions on this subject, but they are only opinions and as ESS_THREE says, if you don't like them move on, don't start bickering.

I like Bowfer, think he adds abit of flavour =)

That aside, this mod sounds pretty interesting. Does it have a noticeable gain?

Can't quite figure out why several "pro" forumers and mods are sticking up for Bowfer at all and telling us "noobs" to leave him alone because he is better than us...

He delierately turns every thread he comments on into a bitch match, when all every other forum member is trying to do is talk about the subject of this forum, ie. the A3. He may have provided useful info in the past (I have been on here a while and I am yet to see it), but his credibility is long shot...

In a deluded world where his wife's Clio rules (it could be a 2CV and Bowfer would still swear that it's better than anything Audi can muster), rides like a **** in built up areas to hinder other motorists progress but this is okay, but then to ride like Rossi out in the sticks, I find it difficult to understand anyone defending such a hypocrite....

But of course, it's the same "pro" forumers who they themselves often do their best to behave just like him.

If you are in such a rush to leave Audi behind you, then why the hell are you still reading this forum?

Perhaps Bowfer, now that you are getting on, it would be the ideal time to grow up, not answer back, not comment on threads that are not suited to your intolerant and immature self, and generally just stop being a ****.

If not, then we will just have to wait until Scotland get independence (soon please), go bust (inevitable) and all communication with the civilised world is cut off (sooner please).

PS. My neighbour has just purchased a Porsche Carrera 4 S, in black, with 19 inch turbo wheels...it has four pipes and is as noisey as hell, and disturbs the peace ever such a little on my private estate of 6 luxury homes all worth over £750,000....Bowfer please put my mind at rest, is he a chav and should I move to Aberdeen?

S3Didge said:
Every forum has their resident depressive/aggressive clearly Bowfer,

I thought the point of forums was the fact that you get all types posting...all opinions.
Some good, some bad.

I see nothing Bowfer posts as breaking rules...he owns an Audi, and doesn't like it....since when did everyone posting have to be kissing Audi's corperate ***?

I thought me S3 was a great car once I'd finished with it...it was crap as standard...and despite my 3 years of hard work, it was still boring as hell to drive. Am I allowed to hold that opinion?

but as a mod, reading some of EssThrees' posts and his signature statement makes me question why he is here as well, and who gave him mod status? :think:

Ahh...excellent....
For your information, I've been on here from before 2000...way back when it was Sport-3.net...and giving up my time ever since.
My involvement as Moderator is in helping the website keep running....I see nothing that says I have to think I've 'arrived' (like some) because I once bought an S3.

I am just as entitled to post my opinions as you are...

I liked my S3 a lot..
I was sorry to see it go...but onwards and upwards, as they say.
Audis aren't perfect...no car is...just some more so that others.
Such a shame that I'm criticised for daring to point out the faults with a car I bought with my own money...in many ways not dissimilar to Bowfer.

I'll say it again, If people don't like reading negative comments...move on.

If you don't like somebody's personal opinion about your precious Audi...best stay off internet forums.

That's life, sadly...

Ok, this thread seems to be on should bowfer stay or go now but will try and comment on both the original thread and bowfer.

1) If people do the exhaust mod for a bit more sound then so what. Its their choice. Its not like they are strapping on a massive tin can type corsa mod, its just a minor mod on the standard exhaust.

2) I dont know Bowfer and have only been on here for 1.5yrs ish, but reading some of his other posts off topic of cars he has some valuable input, like on an LCD/Plasma Tv thread in another area of this website. He does seem to have a bit of a beef with exhaust mods! Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It seems lots have jumped on the bandwagon to slate the guy and if nobody told him to eff off in this particular thread then he probably wouldnt have reposted so many times. If he wants to go then fair play, seems others have enjoyed his posts over the yrs.

3) Are audi getting chavy? who knows, maybe they are a bit. Was tailed very closely and aggressively by an 8L S3 the otherday, for no reason. I wasnt driving fast or dangerously but he was. When the guy pulled past he was a young chavy type. Suppose all makes of cars have people like this, esp when the cars get older and cheaper. Just the nature of things.

COoky

normski said:
PS. My neighbour has just purchased a Porsche Carrera 4 S, in black, with 19 inch turbo wheels...it has four pipes and is as noisey as hell, and disturbs the peace ever such a little on my private estate of 6 luxury homes all worth over £750,000....Bowfer please put my mind at rest, is he a chav and should I move to Aberdeen?

Good choice!
Send him up here to live...he could just about buy my neighbours house.
We could then appreciate each others soundtracks....
Maybe I'm a Chav too?
Woohoo...

Come along Gents...do people really get this wound up with other peoples opinions?
If so, I think you need to take a long hard look at your life...honestly, some things just don't matter all that much in the grand scale of things.

Now lets all be friends - with differing opinions - and move on...

Ha ha ha what a laugh

To be honset Bowfer adds abit flavour to these conversations so what if they are negative comments who cares what other people think. As for chav A3s mine is modded not like a saxo but the way i wanted it to look i dont do it for others i do it for me.

Bowfer do you in all seriousness believe any brand nowadays has a true luxury above the masses feel i dont. Go on any owners forums be it bmw or mercedes you will find modded examples. It is oh so easy nowadays to get finance on high end cars and so people will go out and buy them instead of saxos and corsas.

On the matter of Porsches, have you seen the Ruf Cayman in the latest Evo? It is nice....

:icon_thumright:

While I'm enjoying all this debate on whether one is entitled to an opinion or not, any chance we might get back on topic.

1) Has anybody done this since yesterday?
2) Does it only apply to the S3, or will it work on other models?
3) Why is it only the left exhaust you do it on?
4) Has anybody got a photo if what I should be looking for, as I had a look at my own exhaust and couldn't see what I should be looking for on the left exhaust.

By the way, for those of you who want to continue the debate on modded exhausts, I see some poor unfortunate has just posted a question about Milltek exhausts. Don't all rush at once!

MarcQuinlivan said:
While I'm enjoying all this debate on whether one is entitled to an opinion or not, any chance we might get back on topic.

1) Has anybody done this since yesterday?
2) Does it only apply to the S3, or will it work on other models?
3) Why is it only the left exhaust you do it on?
4) Has anybody got a photo if what I should be looking for, as I had a look at my own exhaust and couldn't see what I should be looking for on the left exhaust.

By the way, for those of you who want to continue the debate on modded exhausts, I see some poor unfortunate has just posted a question about Milltek exhausts. Don't all rush at once!

The reason that its only the left hand tailpipe is because thats the tail pipe that the exhaust flap is inside of..

This will work on any car with a soleniod operated exhaust valve..

Look at the little wire arm which comes out the bottom of the soleniod and where it links into the exhaust flap 'lever' that is where you disconnect it..

Just give it a try, if you dont like it spend 30seconds changing it back over..

jonnyc said:
The reason that its only the left hand tailpipe is because thats the tail pipe that the exhaust flap is inside of..

This will work on any car with a soleniod operated exhaust valve..

Look at the little wire arm which comes out the bottom of the soleniod and where it links into the exhaust flap 'lever' that is where you disconnect it..

Just give it a try, if you dont like it spend 30seconds changing it back over..

Thanks for that.

john_cook said:
2) I dont know Bowfer and have only been on here for 1.5yrs ish, but reading some of his other posts off topic of cars he has some valuable input, like on an LCD/Plasma Tv thread in another area of this website. He does seem to have a bit of a beef with exhaust mods! Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It seems lots have jumped on the bandwagon to slate the guy and if nobody told him to eff off in this particular thread then he probably wouldnt have reposted so many times. If he wants to go then fair play, seems others have enjoyed his posts over the yrs.

In that case, can I suggest Bowfer hangs out at www.avforums.com as AV is clearly your forte, the debate on whether BK subs are better than REL's is particularly fun...although maybe not your cup of tea Bowf as it seems to be based on knowledge and objectivity rather than childishness, and they can be rather noisey...

Come on guys, live and let live.

If you don't like someone's posts, don't read them

Everyone has an opinion and has a right to express it, that is the priviledge of free speach and the liberty that we basically fought 2 world wars for to keep our freedom.

The other thing to remember is that this is just a forum, no one has got hurt or injured as a result of the posts on this forum. (Not going to get into the possibility that soemone may act upon a post that may result in death or injury as fundamentally, if someone tells you to stick your hand in a flame and you burn yourself you should know better and it is still ultimately your own fault)

WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS HERE?????

Come on for flips sake and get rid of all these useless posts.
I was looking at having a good read on this thread about the exhaust flap valve thing, expecting to see before and after pics, and possibly sound files of any difference.

What have I just wasted the last 2 minutes of my life doing....reading petty, two cent, useless bickering between people.

I don't really care what peoples views are, I just want read a thread that is relevant.

normski said:
If not, then we will just have to wait until Scotland get independence (soon please), go bust (inevitable) and all communication with the civilised world is cut off (sooner please).
So you give Bowfer a hard time about making unneeded back hand comments and go and say something like that. No need...:no:

so anyway... this exhaust flap, is it one of the cables with a spring on? got the 3.2 and is abit different from my old 1.4 fiesta ! any pics from anyone possibly? :sos:

Utter nonsense.
Car exhaust noise is becoming such a problem that several English councils have set up teams specifically to deal with it.
The sheer number of cars v bikes means the balance will always tip towards cars being the bigger problem.
I'm not saying there aren't noisy bikes, that would be daft.
I hate them as much as I do noisy cars.
There are far less of them though.

PS - as I already said, I intend to leave the declining Audi brand as soon as I can. I'll leave the 'drug dealer chic' well behind me, thank god.

sack all this talking appropiately. Your a f**king dickhead and you chat so much s**t its untrue, you find fault at everything and anything people say. If you have such a problem f**k off to another forum your comments are clearly not wanted here are they? i'll answer that NO. You will probably start blabberin on about how appauling my english is:blahblah1:,this is all you seem to do. Ive never really replied to any of your stupid comments but i think your a very sad individual,do you mind me asking how old your are? im 19 and i dont act like you. If your happy with everything and you like your audi's etc fine stay comment and reply on peoples idea's mod's etc. But *** if you dont like it do us all a favour and either f**k off or just shut the f**k up

much appreciated:icon_thumright:

AudiLad no need for that at all. You may still be a youngster and relatively immature, but your post really won't help matters will it?

For the record, I've done this flapper mod and it makes the noise from my R32 a little more pronounced at low speeds. I'm not sure how similar the exhaust on the 3.2 is to the one on the R32, but if you have a look on r32oc.com they have a guide (with pics) on how to do it on the R32, and I'm presuming it's not too different with any other car. Click for 'flapper mod'.

LETS LEAVE THE BOWFOR ARGUMENT ALONE! :icon_thumright:

Has anybody done this mod on there S3?

Whats it like? any pics?

Thanks

p

I'm sure someone was saying they had problems on their mapped S3 using this mod? - can't see what problems it could cause though.....perhaps in the GIAC thread?

Oh , i'll leave it then , it's one thing having a meaty sound , but not if it's gonna throw up fault codes and christmas tree lights on the dash.......and may even lose you power!

p

I found out why it caused my problems, if you follow the procedure and push the lever all the way up, and you point a torch down the exhaust pipe, you will see the flap is totally closed.

I tried to push the lever half way up (so the flat is open) but it's too loose and just closes its self when you're driving.

How is this valve meant to work?

Mine seems to be open on tickover and always open when the car is stood still and revved, when does it close and for it to close do you have to be driving?

ALso if you move the arm up or down to close the valve without disconnecting the arm will it go back to normal when you start the engine with the vaccuum?

I really need step my step 'idiot proof' instructions along with photographs to tell me how to do this coz i aint got a clue!! Im fairly illiterate when it comes to DIY car modification lol.