Audi A3 - 1.4 TFSI CAXC - timing chain

Melon92

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Had a bad experience with an A4 and the EA888 engine for timing chain/tensioner issue.

Now being extra cautious, i sometimes hear a rattle on startup, when car is cold.

Checking OBD11 (91 field value) I can see Intake bank 1 angle is 5.9% Lots of videos/information say +/- 4 or +/- 5% for the EA888

Question i should i be worried? And sort this out asap? There isn't much info relating to the 1.4 TFSI/TSI engines regarding the angle data and when the chain is stretched etc. I have uploaded the photo.
Audi a3 obd11 engine screnshot

And update:

It rattled one more time after posting and now it's show 6.3 as the angle.

Today whilst doing rear brakes and discs and bleeding had car on stands, with the car angled more forwards. After bleeding I wanted to check feel of pedal with car on. So switched it on and heard quite a loud rattle and turned it straight off.

It now reads 7.1 degrees and have the code P0341 cam shaft position sensor circuit. Sigh. Has the car done it's valves or am I lucky.

Rotated engine by hand with socket and it rotated fine. Didn't get jammed. Any other test I can do without starting engine with ignition?

I've stopped driving the car as of today and have ordered new chain and tensioner.

Thanks guys

So an update for anyone else who has a 1.4 tsi or 1.4 tfsi in this generation of cars such as MK6 Golf, Audi a3, or Skoda;

Took on the project of opening up the timing chain cover and doing a new chain and tensioner. Outcome was timing chain was loose, worn out guides/pins, almost a link longer than the new chain. Ill put up some pics/videos in a seperate post. New chain has no play at all. So if your car rattles on start up and it gets worse, it is a good idea to consider replacin gthe chain and tensioner before catastrophe happens. Not sure if the above angle is an indication as the new chain shows around 6.1/6.3, however there is no rattle.

Cheers

Reactions: samisnake and George Kost