Double Din cage aftermarket size

den911

Reaction score
Hi is it me or is this normal, i purchased i full kit for replacing the stock HU..The aftermarket mounting cage is universal and stated as 110mm for a 2011 A3 however when i measure the aperture for the new cage to go in the height is fine(110mm) it's the width that i find is a issue ,the aperture is 180mm wide and the after market cage is 184mm andi can tell that cage was not going in ...Next was the cage that came with the unit and that was slighltly smaller at 182 mm but more rigid so i persevered with this one but really struggled getting it in to the point were it sat flush and couldn't go any further ,thinking i was fine i then put the new unit in and again i strugled getting it in and after fitting i was not happy as it was just not sitting as it should and you could clearly see that the cage was just to tight ,anyway its coming out if i can get it out and i am going to see if i can get a cage at 180mm as anyone else found this a issue as to me something at 184mm will not fit in a aperture of 180mm ..

I had this issue. Ive got the connects2 aftermarket cage and the pioneer cage. I ended up using the pioneer cage but for both cages I needed to bend them inwards from the top and bottom to make them fit. I also struggled sliding the headunit into place, but eventually got it in. I did notice not many of the 'clips' bent out 90 degress to lock the cage into place.

Same here ended up using the pioneer cage simply because i didn't trust the connects 2 cage with the locking plates ,just felt flimsy.
in order for the main facia plate to fit the cage and HU has to be in so far even then as you say the clips just done fit ,then when it does push in (the facia) the HU is to far back for the final surround piece ....

I've been looking at double din units as I want to do the same upgrade from my single din. (2005 8P)

I noticed there was a dash change on the A3, 8P0858005C to 8P0858005D. The frames look mostly the same from top to middle, but the bottom section seems to be different, plus I like the look of the new buttons. Also, the climate control system I've seen fitted to the later version has heated seats, whereas mine doesn't.

Can anyone please give me some advice on how I could go about this? I like the 8P0858005D setup if it's compatible.