How much for a LSD on a FWD?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey
I seen on a previous post that I can buy a LSD device for my TDI to stop wheel spin on a Stage 1.

Does anyone know anything about them, are they about £700.00 ?

And what do I need, and are they hard to install as far as labour?

They don't stop wheel spin, but can help mitigate it. I love a Quaife, and on a FWD car, they are a real winning when pushing big power.

You see the difference, on the street, at a roundabout , normally without a Quaife, like my S3 powered Mk2 Golf, you'd plant the throttle and you'd start seeing the wrong side of the roundabout very quickly. An LSD will divert the traction to the opposite wheel and keep you going the way you are meant to!

They are about £700-900, and around £500+ to fit depending on box and car. You may as well put a clutch in also with the box out.

Is it worth it? Add up all the mods you keep wanting to do, and then work out if its better just sell the car and buy a Quattro with some choice options..

Reactions: quattrorally
They don't stop wheel spin, but can help mitigate it. I love a Quaife, and on a FWD car, they are a real winning when pushing big power.

You see the difference, on the street, at a roundabout , normally without a Quaife, like my S3 powered Mk2 Golf, you'd plant the throttle and you'd start seeing the wrong side of the roundabout very quickly. An LSD will divert the traction to the opposite wheel and keep you going the way you are meant to!

They are about £700-900, and around £500+ to fit depending on box and car. You may as well put a clutch in also with the box out.

Is it worth it? Add up all the mods you keep wanting to do, and then work out if its better just sell the car and buy a Quattro with some choice options..

Yeah if I could get one for 700.00 I probably can get it fit for around 300.00 from my mate, so it may not be worth it unless I find a used one for a lot cheaper. Thats the one I think you mentioned when I bought my car.

Thanks Dub

Yeah if I could get one for 700.00 I probably can get it fit for around 300.00 from my mate, so it may not be worth it unless I find a used one for a lot cheaper. Thats the one I think you mentioned when I bought my car.

Thanks Dub

Moneys tight for everyone these days, so my advice is just get your remap, and then you can decide if you really need a Quaiffe.

I was a lunatic racer back in those days in my Golf and I still managed to stay alive without an LSD, you just learn throttle and clutch control and steering input and balance over relying on mechanics. Granted, you don't get that level of feedback from the car in these new Audi's, but at least its all plush and comfortable rather than feeling like you're being ragged around in a tin bath :)

Yeah I think your right, I have 2 weeks to the stage 1
I was actually speaking to my mate and he is friends with Nate who owns Performance Engineering who are doing my map.
Will have a good chat with him as I am sure he has done hundreds of stage 1 on a FWD and he can give me some tips and advice.

Yeah I think your right, I have 2 weeks to the stage 1
I was actually speaking to my mate and he is friends with Nate who owns Performance Engineering who are doing my map.
Will have a good chat with him as I am sure he has done hundreds of stage 1 on a FWD and he can give me some tips and advice.

I had 270bhp going through my front wheels on my Golf, Was just silly really, but great fun when you're young! (obvs just looked like a w****r)

Did you go through a lot of front tyres?
I dont want to look like a tool and squeal my tyres at every light LOL

I should buy some shares in Michelin Ha Ha

What happened when you were running 270bhp on the front?
One thing is that my diesel will probably have more torque or the same as your 270BHP

Don’t waste your money.

at remapped stage 1 power it is not a necessity.

if you were around 300 bhp on a gtb2260vk turbo then yes, at 180bhp i wouldn’t waste my money

Did you go through a lot of front tyres?
I dont want to look like a tool and squeal my tyres at every light LOL

I should buy some shares in Michelin Ha Ha

What happened when you were running 270bhp on the front?
One thing is that my diesel will probably have more torque or the same as your 270BHP

I did, a new set of fronts every few months :)

Wheelspin city, you learn progressive throttle control thats for sure.

Well I have been driving in canada in the snow and in the UK for 23 years so I am sure I can pick it up.

Whats the best Sachs flywheel and clutch for daily driving? I think I may need one soon LOL

Also if I do need a new turbo, can you upgrade the turbo from say a S3 or something like that, or does it have to be like for like from a 150 TDI?

Well I have been driving in canada in the snow and in the UK for 23 years so I am sure I can pick it up.

Whats the best Sachs flywheel and clutch for daily driving? I think I may need one soon LOL

Also if I do need a new turbo, can you upgrade the turbo from say a S3 or something like that, or does it have to be like for like from a 150 TDI?
Go on to darkside developments and look at some of the turbo kits they offer for the 2.0l tdi.

its a big job.

best for daily driving would be standard oem flywheel and organic clutch plate probably sachs clutch plate and cover