Changing CD changer

Big_Al_A3

1st Gear 1st Audi \o/
Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have an alpine CD changer in the back of my a3 1.8t which I guess was fitted as standard as its connected to the stereo in the front. I'm not sure which model as I cant find the manual for the changer at the mo but I want to replace it with the CHA-S634 so that I can play mp3 cds.
Does anyone know if the connectors are the same and that it can be a straight swap with the standard one, and also because the CHA-S634 can report the track information from the mp3 files, does the audi head unit support this function to display the track names or am I better off just replacing the head unit with one that will play mp3 cds and do the lot?

The Alpine changer was never fitted as standard to Audi's so someone has added it, with the appropriate adapter. Alpine use different bus types, M-BUS on cheaper changers and AI-NET on the rest. Depending on the bus type will depend whether you can use the existing bus adapter. My guess is the current changer is M-BUS, so you'd have buy another adapter to interface with the M-BUS to Audi adapter as the S634 is native AI-Net.
Either way you won't get track info on the Audi HU as it doesn't support it with any device.
You'd be better off going for a changer package detailed below:
http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=MADS003

Cheers Andy,
I think im going to go down the route of replacing just the head unit with one that can play mp3 cds and show the track info.
off to the ICE section now to find out about whats hot and what's not in the world of head units!