When does the Brake Pad Worn come on?

6EGA3

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how thin the pads have to be before the light comes on. I'm having mine MOT'd tomorrow and they are getting low-ish, hard to tell exactly, but no warning. I just don't want to be told to replace them if they are still within the legal limits.

You should be able to tell just by looking at them and feeling the diac with your finger if its grooved or not

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Even when the wear sensors are triggered it’s a warning to allow you to get them replaced in good time. There is AFAIK no “legal minimum” for brake pad material but I’d not go less than 2mm.

Even when the wear sensors are triggered it’s a warning to allow you to get them replaced in good time. There is AFAIK no “legal minimum” for brake pad material but I’d not go less than 2mm.
Bought my car nearly 4 years ago it had all new discs and pads. I've just done em so it kinda depends on your driving style

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think there's still a good 2 or 3mm on them when the warning lights up.

Assuming there's enough on them to actually brake properly and its not metal to metal, I would think if they were very low it would be flagged up as an advisory.

There's no grooving and the car still stops perfectly. I mostly do motorway driving so over 30 - 40K miles I'll use them brakes far less than a city driver and I rend to be very easy on them anyway.

Thanks guys - just wanted to have some armoury in case the garage tries to fail the vehicle on that. Otherwise it SHOULD pass easily.

For MY 15 S 3 Audi service manual says the replacement limit is 5 mm front, 4 mm rear. This is net of back plate which adds 5 mm, Audi gives the total thickness which includes the BP (suits their tool).
That may be conservative but as the inboard pads are hard to reach (I don't) a little leeway is good.
My last check at 44 k km was 9/8 mm F/R FWIW.

Just wondering if anyone knows how thin the pads have to be before the light comes on. I'm having mine MOT'd tomorrow and they are getting low-ish, hard to tell exactly, but no warning. I just don't want to be told to replace them if they are still within the legal limits.
If they are still in the legal limit but low, they will flag as an advisory!