A3 8v oil change help

20200721 174823

20200721 174852

Not been spending wisely...
Firs was mistake u can't judge me for that second emergency oil replaced next day.. It will do am no too many like others crazy like everything must be on spec.. Overreacting.. I it is just fkin car.. u won't take it to your grave don't worry

Umm Peter , you keep making bizarre oil choices and being pleased you bought them on Facebook market place and then claiming one up the... no harm done..

I suppose you think 502.00 505.00 will be fine in a 1.9 PD TDI ?

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/i-used-this-oil.418912/

The last one being a semi synthetic that had just an ancient and poor Mercedes Benz 229.1 manufacturer spec .

I can't understand why you can't just get the widely available, high quality universal VAG staple diet of 504.00 507.00 .

It does petrol and diesel , na and forced , PD , common rail , TFSI , 3 - 10 cylinder , RS etc , it can even be used in place of 0W20 508.00 509.00 , costs less and protects more !

Has anyone compared the difference in the amount of oil removed with a suction pump tube in the dip stick pipe versus removing the sump plug? It would be interesting to ACTUALLY know which is the best method for removing the most oil.

Has anyone compared the difference in the amount of oil removed with a suction pump tube in the dip stick pipe versus removing the sump plug? It would be interesting to ACTUALLY know which is the best method for removing the most oil.
Not better
Best is when oil is hot so more runny
Leave it drain for even 30 mins
Best

Umm Peter , you keep making bizarre oil choices and being pleased you bought them on Facebook market place and then claiming one up the... no harm done..

I suppose you think 502.00 505.00 will be fine in a 1.9 PD TDI ?

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/i-used-this-oil.418912/

The last one being a semi synthetic that had just an ancient and poor Mercedes Benz 229.1 manufacturer spec .

I can't understand why you can't just get the widely available, high quality universal VAG staple diet of 504.00 507.00 .

It does petrol and diesel , na and forced , PD , common rail , TFSI , 3 - 10 cylinder , RS etc , it can even be used in place of 0W20 508.00 509.00 , costs less and protects more !
Just leave it next oil will be proper one ;)

You’ll get more out by removing the sump plug - but some Audi’s (my old A6 C6, and I think the A4 B8) don’t have one so suction has to be used.

All cars are different , some actually designed for it.

Best method is to extract then take the sump plug out and make a decision based on any extra amount that drips .

My two cars are fine being extracted , one has the benefit of the oil cooler being sucked out below the oil filter housing and combined with them not eating their own soot excrement the oil is never turned black .

All cars are different , some actually designed for it.

Best method is to extract then take the sump plug out and make a decision based on any extra amount that drips .

My two cars are fine being extracted , one has the benefit of the oil cooler being sucked out below the oil filter housing and combined with them not eating their own soot excrement the oil is never turned black .

Yeah, I'll no doubt do that, I just wondered if there was an overriding preference amongst A3 8V owners. Asking just in case I could save myself from having to jack the car up, remove the under tray, etc! Anything for an easy solution!!

Reactions: Fatbloke
A decent set of ramps saves having to jack the car up. Saves a bit of hassle.
I have ramps, but once on ramps, the car's not level - having not poked my head underneath yet (I've not had the car long), I'm not sure if that would affect draining all the oil - i.e. depends on the position of the sump plug in the sump... but it would certainly affect refilling to the correct level (before starting the engine and driving off the ramps).

I have ramps, but once on ramps, the car's not level - having not poked my head underneath yet (I've not had the car long), I'm not sure if that would affect draining all the oil - i.e. depends on the position of the sump plug in the sump... but it would certainly affect refilling to the correct level (before starting the engine and driving off the ramps).

On mine 2.0 tdi 150, the sump plug faces to the rear so the oil runs out fine. 4.5 litres in to take it off the ramps. Let it settle and adjust.

What engine do you exactly have Pete ?
Please don't call ne Pete.. I HATE it
It's Peter two different names.. Please :)
It's this below 2.0 tdi

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200722_220204_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200722_220204_com.android.chrome.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20200301_125741.jpg
    IMG_20200301_125741.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
Quantum is the cheapest VW approved as it's VW's own now produced in the UK by Fuchs .

Don't get hung up on brand or approval though as oil is tightly regulated , " meets or exceeds the requirements of..." by a supermarket oil etc will surfice .

Was going to remove the under tray anyway

No choice on some engines if you want to change the filter, and that's a good idea when changing the oil.

+1 on an oil extractor pump BTW, especially if you're doing an 'extra' oil change in addition to Audi recommended periods/mileage (as extractors don't quite get as much old oil out as using the sump plug). I've heard the extraction method is nonetheless approved by Audi for use by dealers, for what that's worth. And it's still easier/less messy than using the sump plug even you're taking the undertray off to change the filter.

Last edited:
Got proper oil now .. will change soon

Attachments

• oil front.jpg
    oil front.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 107
  • oil back.jpg
    oil back.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 106
I am looking to do my own oil changes as I want to use my own oil and filters and by the time I pay for the oil and filter and ask a garage to do it for me I would be looking at well over £100.00
Do these manual oil pumps like this work: Amazon product

Or can someone recommend a cheap electric one for under £40.00 ? Sorry to hijack

I am looking to do my own oil changes as I want to use my own oil and filters and by the time I pay for the oil and filter and ask a garage to do it for me I would be looking at well over £100.00
Do these manual oil pumps like this work: Amazon product

Or can someone recommend a cheap electric one for under £40.00 ? Sorry to hijack

Do it yourself you saves plenty money Oil and filter £40 really don't want to spend another £40 for service
Tt is pretty much easy job ..

I dont have any jacks and cant be bothered to remove all the lower covers ect. Im lazy like that.
Have just heard good things about the pumps and a mess free oil change.

I dont have any jacks and cant be bothered to remove all the lower covers ect. Im lazy like that.
Have just heard good things about the pumps and a mess free oil change.
Which pumps? If you have gloves there is not much mess I do it with minimum mess.. But yeah the worst part is filter change .. that's messy

Too be honest I have never done it before so I thought it about time I start doing some of my own maintence.
I have never even touched a oil filter before so would need to do some indepth youtubing on how to do it on my car.

Too be honest I have never done it before so I thought it about time I start doing some of my own maintence.
I have never even touched a oil filter before so would need to do some indepth youtubing on how to do it on my car.

Audi (and VW, don't know about Seat) are a bit unusual. You don’t change a filter canister, you remove a cover (with a special 74mm socket, available on Amazon for less than a tenner) and inside is a paper filter element that you change. I think this can be done from the top of the engine - but do google your model, read the manual, and go look. Suction pumps are ok, in fact my C6 A6 didn’t have a sump plug at all, you had to use a pump to get the oil out.

Audi (and VW, don't know about Seat) are a bit unusual. You don’t change a filter canister, you remove a cover (with a special 74mm socket, available on Amazon for less than a tenner) and inside is a paper filter element that you change. I think this can be done from the top of the engine - but do google your model, read the manual, and go look. Suction pumps are ok, in fact my C6 A6 didn’t have a sump plug at all, you had to use a pump to get the oil out.
No not top anymore.. this isn't 8P .. 8Vs since 2013 has filters from the bottom, btw some pipes awkward to reach ...

Oh yeah isnt the oil filter in a stupid place inside the engine or like near the bottom?
I am sure I seen this in a wheelers dealers episode, but that was a TT

I cant believe people would spend anything between £10K and £30K on a car and put crap oil in it!!
Especially when Euro Parts are always doing deals on line, I've just bought some decent oil for £37.
Still cant get my head around it, I often change my oil for fun!!
Oil 2

Reactions: JohnM100
No not top anymore.. this isn't 8P .. 8Vs since 2013 has filters from the bottom, btw some pipes awkward to reach ...

The filter was accessible from the top of the engine bay on my 2015 S3. I did oil changes using the pump method and it was fine. Hardest part was disposing if the oil without getting it on the inside of the car!

The filter was accessible from the top of the engine bay on my 2015 S3. I did oil changes using the pump method and it was fine. Hardest part was disposing if the oil without getting it on the inside of the car!
Oh you have TFSI that's why .. audi only messing about .. changing stuff .. making differences..