Egr valve

Daniel Evans

Reaction score
Hi, I’m having problems with my dfg blocking up quite bad, where it’s causing oil and fuel to mix, I’ve recently plugged it in to diagnostics machine and it coming up with an egr fault code. Can somebody give me some advice on what’s best to do, and if that’s the reason my dpf if constantly blocking. Thanks.

Hi, I’m having problems with my dfg blocking up quite bad, where it’s causing oil and fuel to mix, I’ve recently plugged it in to diagnostics machine and it coming up with an egr fault code. Can somebody give me some advice on what’s best to do, and if that’s the reason my dpf if constantly blocking. Thanks.
- What's the fault code?
- Clean the EGR/Do italian tune up
- Stop driving like a wuss, rag the engine hard, and take it for a good long drive

The DPF is blocking because it's not regenning.They're not good for short mileage drives or town driving, they don't get the temperatures to clean and regen.

In order words, rag your car hard :D

P0403 is the EGR Fault, but it can be related to the control valve (N18 VALVE)
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16787/P0403/001027

Look around the Engine bay for the N18 Valve, off-hand I can't tell you where it is as I never had to touch it on my Golf
There's two normally N75 (usually near the firewall of the car under windshield) - normally there's a pipe runs from the wastegate of the turbo to this
N18 I believe there's a vacuum pipe comes from the EGR and runs to it, if that helps you trace it.

You're looking for something that looks like attached

Check the wiring to them, as broken connectors are possibly causes. All it takes is a broken wire and you get intermittent faults.
Also - Does your fault scan report if it's intermittent or not?

Attachments

• 1K0906627D-N75-valve.jpg
    1K0906627D-N75-valve.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: Daniel Evans

Look around the Engine bay for the N18 Valve, off-hand I can't tell you where it is as I never had to touch it on my Golf
There's two normally N75 (usually near the firewall of the car under windshield) - normally there's a pipe runs from the wastegate of the turbo to this
N18 I believe there's a vacuum pipe comes from the EGR and runs to it, if that helps you trace it.

Check the wiring to them, as broken connectors are possibly causes. All it takes is a broken wire and you get intermittent faults.
Okay thanks

Check the wiring to

okay thanks. Just a code

- What's the fault code?
- Clean the EGR/Do italian tune up
- Stop driving like a wuss, rag the engine hard, and take it for a good long drive

The DPF is blocking because it's not regenning.They're not good for short mileage drives or town driving, they don't get the temperatures to clean and regen.

In order words, rag your car hard :D
Have a read of this post - https://uk-mkivs.net/topic/50427-pd-vac-line-simplification-n18-n239-valve-delete/
Find the vacuum reservoir in the engine - It's normally at the front left as you open the bonnet above the alternator and follow the pipes from it
It’s just that code.

Yes - but I don't know if you know the vehicle well enough to identify the N18 Valve.
From Ross-Tech - hence why I said check wiring, if you're getting P0403 either the EGR valve is fully blocked, or you have a wiring/power problem

16787/P0403/001027 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18): Malfunction
Possible Symptoms
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Rough Idle Speed and/or Engine stalling
  • Loss of Power
Possible Causes
  • Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) faulty
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
  • Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
    • Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)

Yes - but I don't know if you know the vehicle well enough to identify the N18 Valve.
From Ross-Tech - hence why I said check wiring, if you're getting P0403 either the EGR valve is fully blocked, or you have a wiring/power problem

16787/P0403/001027 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18): Malfunction
Possible Symptoms
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Rough Idle Speed and/or Engine stalling
  • Loss of Power
Possible Causes
  • Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) faulty
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
  • Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
    • Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
Thank you for your help pal, appreciate it

depending how badly clogged and for how long you won't gain anything from cleaning it as the plastic cogs will be chewed up and you can't get the motor separate from the body so will have to replace the whole thing.