Rear brakes / Warranty

doug34

Reaction score
I have been experiencing a scuffing noise from the rear nearside when braking and travelling at approx 5-10 mph. When I phoned my local Audi they stated the new style pads did make a scuffing noise. Booked the car in on Friday and on colection was told no faults found only slight corrosion to the discs. On looking through the alloy wheel I noticed a groove had been etched into the surface of the r/n/s disc about half way down. Only way it could have happened I presume is sand or grit from the roads falling into the space between pad and disc. On returning to Audi this morning and showing them the problem they stated it required a new disc and pads and the other side also required replaced as it was displaying heat marks.Audi refuse to cover under warantee although they intend taking it up with Customer Services.Car is Sportback 2TDI , October 2006 with 10000 miles on the clock. I agree that perhaps I am liable for the disc with the groove but a disc with heat marks should surely come under warantee especially when they said it was fine on Friday.
Anyone had similar problems and how I stand forking out a fortune on a 9 month old car

Even consumable items on cars have an expected life span and if something like pads or discs have worn exceptionaly quickly in normal use they should be repaired under warranty.

My friends STi Impreza went through a set of pads and discs in 7k (he hadn't tracked the car ever) and Subaru changed those under warranty.

There is no way I would personal pay £1 towards a repair like this on a car as new as yours.

I would have thought any 'blueing' is due to a fault somewhere therefore covered by warranty (unless you've been on a trackday).

The score marks on the other disc will not affect the braking force as the pad will re-form to that groove and supply the same surface area once more, you do not need new discs & pads (they will suggest a complete set for both sides as replacing just one side may cause an imbalance)

I had a run in with an MOT inspector many years ago who failed my wifes car due to scored and rusted front discs, his arguement was that in his professional opinion it was not safe, I asked to see the braking force figures, they were perfect and balanced. I appealed, the inspector also looked at similar failure notices for the garage in question and it was upheld.

Surely if they were fine (according to dealer) on friday and not fine today then these defects have occured in 3 days? Well play them at their own game.

I have found in the past they can be very tough to get consumables replaced under warrenty.